Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tfitzsimons

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Hi all,

I am a long term photographer, and recently I decided to migrate my library to Photos on MacOS and iOS.

Overall, I really love it. It is great to know that a hard drive failure won't result in me losing all of my photos and also that my pictures are available on my device.

The photo analysis feature is my favorite part. It's not well explained but I have found that it is very powerful — it is incredible how I can type "pumpkin" or something and it will find pictures that contain pumpkins (or my dog). The face finding feature is also very useful; I started taking photos when I was just 13 years old, so I have 16 years of photos (at least 60k in my library so far) and it continually surfaces interesting "moments" and organizes things in a way that I did not do back in the day when digitizing photos meant sending a roll of film in and waiting for scans to come back on a CD-ROM. All in all, great. I really like everything. A+

HOWEVER.

The optimize storage feature is absolute crap, and I wish I could somehow register this complaint with Apple. For instance, today my 64GB iPhone 6S said I had 0 KB (really!) of data left, even though I only use up about 40 GB with apps and data. Photos just blows it up over and over again. I am not sure why it does this, perhaps it is because I have a lot of RAW images mixed in, but it is really nuts how it does not optimize. A better name for how it performs on my phone is "Emergency release valve", because it never seems to understand that a phone with 0 data free is a phone that will not work very well.

How can I tell Apple that this really needs to be fixed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.