Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen Marshall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
Venice, CA
Hey guys, I’m back after a couple of years of developing this app with cardiologists at Mayo. If you want to try it, hit me up and I’ll get you a coupon code. Here’s the pitch:

Optimal heart health and mortal longevity are not sustained by Steps Taken. Cardiologists at Mayo Clinic recommend a weekly regimen of heart ‘performance’ thresholds (ie increased heart rate through exercise), which are coded into a new intelligent object called the Heart Halo.

To get your specific regimen based on age, get it at the Store.

Thanks,

Stephen

Reactions: Tulipone

Larry_F

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2018
I'm also interested in trying this app. When I start using it, will it analyze previously collected data, or just start from when the app is installed?

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I'm also interested in trying this app. When I start using it, will it analyze previously collected data, or just start from when the app is installed?

I have the app, and yes, it goes back at least 2 weeks that I see. Pretty cool app, helps to keep you on track. I've only had it a couple days, and am still learning what it can actually do, but it's pretty interesting.

Larry_F

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2018
Thank you for the coupon code! I installed the app, and it did analyze my data for the last two weeks. I don't run anywhere near as much as I used to when I was younger, but my maximum pulse rate when I exercise is still considerably higher than would be calculated for my age. I wondered how it would handle that (would I get some sort of warning?) but it just gave me a gold rating for the day. I'll post more as I continue to use the app.

Reactions: Stephen Marshall

Larry_F

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2018
I did my first run with the app installed, and two questions came up.

First, I noticed that Heart Halo is not installed on the watch (Series 4). But since I don't allow apps to install automatically on the watch, I figured I needed to go to the available app list in the Watch app on the phone (iPhone 7 Plus) and allow it to install to the watch. But Heart Halo is not shown in that list of available apps. Something isn't right here.

Second, after I finished my workout and got back home to my phone (my watch is GPS only, and I don't carry the phone while running), Heart Halo shows standing, distance, and workout all as gold for today, and the halo itself is gold, but my rating for today is silver. Is this what is expected?

Thanks again for letting me try the app!

shadowground

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2019
Hey guys, I’m back after a couple of years of developing this app with cardiologists at Mayo. If you want to try it, hit me up and I’ll get you a coupon code. Here’s the pitch:

Optimal heart health and mortal longevity are not sustained by Steps Taken. Cardiologists at Mayo Clinic recommend a weekly regimen of heart ‘performance’ thresholds (ie increased heart rate through exercise), which are coded into a new intelligent object called the Heart Halo.

Thanks,

Stephen

very keen to give this a go if you still have a coupon lying around!

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Have a question on the app. This morning, I was awarded "Silver" in standing, for waking up. I had a total of 2 standing hours, (got up during the night to use the bathroom), and then the wake up process. Does this sound right? 2 out of 12 gets "Silver"?

Larry_F

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2018
Now that I've had Heart Halo running for a day, I have another issue to report. My phone battery is draining much faster than it ever has before, and the battery settings shows Heart Halo using much more of my battery than any other app. Right now Heart Halo has used 26% of my battery and the next highest app is at 13%. I've turned off Background App Refresh for Heart Halo, and I'll see if that helps.

gymratjudy

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2016

Thanks,

Stephen
Would like to give this a go if coupon is still available.

Stephen Marshall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
Venice, CA
I did my first run with the app installed, and two questions came up.

First, I noticed that Heart Halo is not installed on the watch (Series 4). But since I don't allow apps to install automatically on the watch, I figured I needed to go to the available app list in the Watch app on the phone (iPhone 7 Plus) and allow it to install to the watch. But Heart Halo is not shown in that list of available apps. Something isn't right here.

Second, after I finished my workout and got back home to my phone (my watch is GPS only, and I don't carry the phone while running), Heart Halo shows standing, distance, and workout all as gold for today, and the halo itself is gold, but my rating for today is silver. Is this what is expected?

Thanks again for letting me try the app!

Larry... the Heart Halo does not currently install on the Watch, only the phone for now. You will get notifications on your phone.

Second... This can happen because currently it requires over 50 points to get Gold. And while you may have crossed the Gold threshold in Workout which represents 70% of the weight towards the Tier ranking... you may still need to get some more points to cross into GOLD.

Make sense? Send me a screenshot!
[doublepost=1553221411][/doublepost]
Now that I've had Heart Halo running for a day, I have another issue to report. My phone battery is draining much faster than it ever has before, and the battery settings shows Heart Halo using much more of my battery than any other app. Right now Heart Halo has used 26% of my battery and the next highest app is at 13%. I've turned off Background App Refresh for Heart Halo, and I'll see if that helps.

Thanks for letting me know this. How long were you keeping the HALO for? Any idea?
[doublepost=1553221487][/doublepost]
I have the app, and yes, it goes back at least 2 weeks that I see. Pretty cool app, helps to keep you on track. I've only had it a couple days, and am still learning what it can actually do, but it's pretty interesting.

Thank you!! Please give us a rating and a review on the Store if you feel inclined!

Larry_F

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2018
Thanks for letting me know this. How long were you keeping the HALO for? Any idea?

I'm not sure what you mean. I looked at the halo occasionally, but certainly not enough to use that much battery. I thought Heart Halo must be somehow continually querying my activity data in the background. Once I turned off Background App Refresh (and all notifications as well) my battery usage has been back to normal and Heart Halo is near the bottom of the battery usage list. And when I open the app to look at the halo, it seems to be showing current data just as when it was allowed to run in the background.

clcrwn

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2019
Signed up on the forums specifically to mention that I’m interested! Finally bought a new Apple Watch s4 and am looking to get a better view of my health and have some accountability towards self improvement. If you have an extra code it would be much appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.