Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sense1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2023
Hey, I work for an IT departament in Poland and I am totally new to MacOS. I am currently working with MacBook Air integrated into domain in active directory and I need to now how to enable or show the "other user" option on lock screen. I know that this was available years ago and I need to enable this option right now so other domain users beside the Administrator can log in with their own credentials. The only options I see are User List or Login and Password but this is not what i am looking for, i need to be able to see for example my account name when i was logged in previously and next to my name the option "other user" just like in Windows or in MacOS from previous years. The FileVault is not enabled and the same problem exists when out of domain so i dont think it is a domain linked problem

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I believe you have to bind it to the domain first... That's in System Preferences, Users & Groups, Network Account Server, Open Directory Utility. Configure your active directory login severs. Should be good to go after that.

Sense1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2023
I believe you have to bind it to the domain first... That's in System Preferences, Users & Groups, Network Account Server, Open Directory Utility. Configure your active directory login severs. Should be good to go after that.
my macbook air is binded into our domain

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
my macbook air is binded into our domain
That's odd. Assume this option (below) is checked? Maybe unbind it, remove the AD object, and re-bind? I no longer have access to a Mac joined to a domain, so I'm not sure I can help much more. Sorry!

If your Mac is joined to a network account server, you can specify which network users can log in to your Mac. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Users & Groups in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) Turn on “Allow network users to log in at login window,” then click Options.

Sense1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2023
thanks for your time and your answers but the thing is I do not have a problem of users not being able to log in with domain credentials, they absolutely can, the only thing I have a problem with is the option "other user..." not being visible on the lock screen, it is not so much a functionality problem but more so visual problem. I just dont feel OK with myself returning that Macbook (i have to configuate it etc. and return it to another person) without that little simple option available.

Sense1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2023
That's odd. Assume this option (below) is checked? Maybe unbind it, remove the AD object, and re-bind? I no longer have access to a Mac joined to a domain, so I'm not sure I can help much more. Sorry!

If your Mac is joined to a network account server, you can specify which network users can log in to your Mac. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Users & Groups in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) Turn on “Allow network users to log in at login window,” then click Options.
thanks for your time and your answers but the thing is I do not have a problem of users not being able to log in with domain credentials, they absolutely can, the only thing I have a problem with is the option "other user..." not being visible on the lock screen, it is not so much a functionality problem but more so visual problem. I just dont feel OK with myself returning that Macbook (i have to configuate it etc. and return it to another person) without that little simple option available.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
If you still have a Mac that behaves as you wish, compare its /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist with the one from Ventura.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.