Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baselinevolley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
I have upgraded by iPhone7 to the latest ios11 public beta, but it doesn't show the option to sync Messages with iCloud as shown here: messages sync via iCloud in iOS 11

Attached are the screenshots. Is it not available in India? What should I do to get this option? This is one of the reasons why I have updated by iPhone and Mac to their respective public betas.

Attachments

• IMG_1050.png
    IMG_1050.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,570
  • IMG_1051.png
    IMG_1051.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 810

baselinevolley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
I enabled messages in iCloud settings. Force quit messages and settings, restarted the iPhone but the option still doesn't show up under the messages tab.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
I enabled messages in iCloud settings. Force quit messages and settings, restarted the iPhone but the option still doesn't show up under the messages tab.

If you read top of iCloud settings the part that reads your messages etc are being shared and stored in your iCloud account

Though I don’t know where to find text messages

DiscoMcDisco

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
London
Texts don’t sync for you to read them docs and data, they’re simply backed up and used to keep all your devices in sync.

Apologies if this is what you thought you’d be able to do.

Settings > iCloud (banner at the top with your contact details on) > messages (where notes/mail/contacts etc all are) > toggle on.

Reactions: Donfor39

ryxn

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
Texts don’t sync for you to read them docs and data, they’re simply backed up and used to keep all your devices in sync.

Apologies if this is what you thought you’d be able to do.

Settings > iCloud (banner at the top with your contact details on) > messages (where notes/mail/contacts etc all are) > toggle on.
This is correct.

Without setting up your Messages on a Mac, you won't be able to view or respond to messages using a desktop or other mobile device. Needs to be macOS or iOS.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
This is correct.

Without setting up your Messages on a Mac, you won't be able to view or respond to messages using a desktop or other mobile device. Needs to be macOS or iOS.

I can send and receive texts via mobile contract and iPad

Though I thought when my texts are being stored I could view them if required.

T.b.h. I do have the option of storing 1yr or deleting whenever

I though if I have these storage options then maybe I could in effect recover texts

I take your point though as my texts work in sync via iPad Pro and iPhone 6

ryxn

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
I can send and receive texts via mobile contract and iPad

Though I thought when my texts are being stored I could view them if required.

T.b.h. I do have the option of storing 1yr or deleting whenever

I though if I have these storage options then maybe I could in effect recover texts

I take your point though as my texts work in sync via iPad Pro and iPhone 6
I think my previous answer was poorly written, so I'll try and provide a simple explanation through my own experience. I have an iPad Pro, iPhone (US Verizon), and iMac; all are running the latest betas.

On iOS 10 and macOS Sierra, you can enable your devices to receive iMessages and text messages. Each device logged in to your iCloud account and setup properly will receive all your texts and iMessages. However, if you deleted a text on your iPhone, that change would not be reflected on your iPad Pro. Each device stores those messages locally, not on iCloud.

With iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, you can enable Messages on iCloud. With this, instead of all of your texts and iMessages being stored locally on each device, everything is uploaded to iCloud. Thus, if you deleted a message on your iPhone, that change will be replicated on your iPad Pro, and any other device logged into your account with Messages on iCloud enabled. Only the most recent messages are cached on the devices, saving them space.

My understanding is this: let's say you deleted texts on your iPhone, but they remained on your iPad Pro. When you enable Messages on iCloud on both your iPhone and iPad Pro, those messages will uploaded to iCloud and will be available on your iPhone. They are also backed up to iCloud, meaning that if you lost your iPhone and got a new one, then signed in to your account, they would be accessible without the need to restore from backup.

If you deleted texts from both devices prior to enabling Messages on iCloud, there are already gone unless you have a backup saved. They aren't accessible without using the Messages app on either macOS or iOS. They all need to have Messages on iCloud enabled, and they all need to be syncing properly.

Sorry this ended up being so long, and hopefully this offers guidance to anyone with questions.

Reactions: DiscoMcDisco
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.