Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDNikki

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
I've been searching but cant find what i'm looking for in my particular situation...

I'm headed to the UK next month for a couple weeks and want to know what (if any) options I have for getting cheap data for my AT&T locked iPhone 4 on iOS 6.1.3. Texts/min would be helpful also but could live without if I had data.

Thanks so much for any advice!

SDNikki

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Unlock your AT&T iphone here:
http://unlockfusion.net/unlock/at-t-usa-apple-iphone-unlock-12-24-hours
Then get a cheap sim card in the UK with data and you'll be good.

is there an unlock for iOS 6? Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with this :confused:

Thank you!

edited to add: Also, is there a way to turn off calls/text without messing with data? I obviously wouldn't call/text out, but not to receive them from anyone that doesn't know I'm traveling.

sorry, I haven't traveled since becoming addicted to smartphones so I am clueless!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
is there an unlock for iOS 6? Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with this :confused:

Thank you!

edited to add: Also, is there a way to turn off calls/text without messing with data? I obviously wouldn't call/text out, but not to receive them from anyone that doesn't know I'm traveling.

sorry, I haven't traveled since becoming addicted to smartphones so I am clueless!

Yes, the link I gave you above you can purchase an imei unlock that will unlock your iphone for good.
Doesn't matter what firmware you're on and you can restore and update any time without ever losing the unlock and without having to JB your device.

SDNikki

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Yes, the link I gave you above you can purchase an imei unlock that will unlock your iphone for good.
Doesn't matter what firmware you're on and you can restore and update any time without ever losing the unlock and without having to JB your device.

Wow, thank you so much. Now I just need to find a computer to transfer all my iTunes and backups to from my old pc that won't even update iTunes :(

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Wow, thank you so much. Now I just need to find a computer to transfer all my iTunes and backups to from my old pc that won't even update iTunes :(

Applejuiced is spot on. I just went through this with an equally "clueless" friend, who is currently in Italy for the next 3 weeks. He paid an unlock service to unlock his AT&T iP5 for around $5. He then got to Italy, and bought a local SIM card there about 30 Euros, which gave him 5GB of data, and I think around 1000 mins/1000 txt for the month. However, here's the one caveat you need to remember with this approach. You WILL NOT be using your US phone number this way. You will instead be using an Italian phone number (or in your case, UK). So, if people call/text your US phone number, it will not ring/send on to your phone, as the SIM chip for that US phone number is no longer in your phone. However, there are additional things you can do to help alleviate part of that issue.

What we did for my friend is we got him a Google Voice phone number, and then downloaded the TapTalk app to link to the Google Voice number. Then, before he got on the plane, he forwarded his AT&T phone to the Google Voice number. In doing that, any calls to his AT&T number will ring the Google Voice number, and it will ring on his phone in Italy through the TapTalk app (not the regular iPhone dialer), as the TapTalk app connects to Google Voice over the data connection (doesn't matter whether that's WiFi or Cell Data).

One issue is that any texts to his AT&T number do not get forwarded, and may likely be lost during that time period. Might be best to ask friend/family to call/text you directly on your Google Voice number for that period, and then you get both through TapTalk.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.