Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckleerun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
My stock nVidia GeForce 7300 GT is dead/dying. I currently run dual monitors via DVI, but an ATI Radeon 5770 would probably be overkill since I don't do ANY gaming on this rig (just Adobe CS and some iMovie dabbling). It's already got Bootcamp and XP, so I don't mind flashing a PC card if that's feasible; however, I would like the ability to display boot options with the Alt/Option key.

What other options do I have for "basic" graphics functionality?

Thanks,
--Chris

UPDATE: see post #7 :)
UPDATE2: see post #8 :(

Last edited:

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I'd try baking the 7300.

other then that:

(used, of course, = ebay)

ATI 2600HD
ATI 1900XT (overheats alot)
Nvidia 8800GT (special version for Mac Pro 2006/2007)
ATI 4870, apple one or flash

i do recall GT120 had 64bit efi only and didnt work in pre 08 macs, but not sure.

GiantDolphin

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
I replaced my 7300GT with a flashed 4870. Only problems are that you need a hack to have dual DVI. You can find that here, but with every OS update you have to wait until the fix comes before you can do the update if you want to keep using the dual monitors.

Last edited by a moderator:

ckleerun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Cindori, I had no idea about those other models -- thanks! I had already read up on baking the 8800, wasn't sure if that'd work on the 7300 but I've got nothing to lose on that front. Given the track record for these Nvidia models, that ATI 4870 is looking mighty good. You mentioned the 2600HD, any thoughts on the 2600XT? (edit: looks like it might be the HD2600XT?)

You folks rock, thanks for all the speedy responses!

Last edited:

ckleerun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I've been running for a few hours now on the reflowed GeForce 7300. At the risk of jinxing it, looks like another baking success story here!

ckleerun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Update #2: after less than two months, the card's glitching again. A replacement has been ordered, and I haven't decided whether to try baking the old one again in the name of science. (Certainly not before this heatwave breaks.)

ckleerun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I strongly considered that, but would've had to pop for a display dongle since I'm running 2xDVI. Between that and the MSRP, it added up to more than I wanted to spend.

Now running a Radeon HD 2600. Bummed about the added fan noise. It's not tornado-loud, but it's decidedly PC-crude instead of Mac-elegant. Guess that's what I get for cheaping out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.