Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philjo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
I currently Use Lightroom 5.7 running on my 2011 Mac mini (OS X 10.13 High Sierra which is the latest the hardware will support).

I will be looking to replace the Mac mini in the next year or so. Either aNew Mac Mini or Mac studio. But LR 5.7 won’t run on the M1 macs.
I have only used Lightroom twice so far this year so cannot currently justify any subscription model to upgrade Lightroom.
I do have parallels so another option on a new Mac might be to put OS X 10.13 on a VM in parallels and reinstall LR 5.7 there. However I understand that Parallels on M1 macs cannot host older OSX so could not run 10.13 on there.
Would it be worth looking at getting a 2020 intel Mac mini instead of the M1 version to get round this limitation?
Or just move to LR subscription even though it is not used most months?
Thanks.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Maybe I missed something, but you seem to be asking whether it's better to buy a slower machine in a year or so just because a very rare use of a very old version of Lightroom might be needed? No.

Maybe get something besides Lr, like Photos, since it's only for occasional use. Then get a new computer when you need one free of any need to accommodate old software.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Have you looked at Affinity Photo? A new version just came out and it is really good - not quite as good as the Adobe options but being honest, even though I use them every few days, I cannot say I need the power of LR and PS.

Affinity Photo is not subscription and there is an option to buy a single entitlement for all platforms.

Obviously you then get into the cycle of paid upgrades etc. So only can decide if you prefer paying for upgrades or a subscription.

Also another option could be running dark table.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Another option is buy an old mini and use it for the few times you use LR. So what if it’s slow, it’s not like 5.7 is anywhere remotely as quick as the current releases.

If you’re only using DAM, look into trailing LR and ending the trial but continuing to use the DAM side. Supposedly the catalog is usable without a subscription. Editors are a dime a dozen.

There are plenty of ok DAM + editing apps out there, some free.

Last, you know better than us how much compute power you need. If you’re still using a 2011 mini, it’s suggests modest. Get what you need, not what’s trendy or favored by others. I still have a 2009 mini running at my old Swiss home. 24/7, serves media and satisfied my needs until 2017 when I left the place to a son. He’s still using it.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Another option is buy an old mini and use it for the few times you use LR. So what if it’s slow, it’s not like 5.7 is anywhere remotely as quick as the current releases.

If you’re only using DAM, look into trailing LR and ending the trial but continuing to use the DAM side. Supposedly the catalog is usable without a subscription. Editors are a dime a dozen.

There are plenty of ok DAM + editing apps out there, some free.

Last, you know better than us how much compute power you need. If you’re still using a 2011 mini, it’s suggests modest. Get what you need, not what’s trendy or favored by others. I still have a 2009 mini running at my old Swiss home. 24/7, serves media and satisfied my needs until 2017 when I left the place to a son. He’s still using it.

The other option of course is to keep the mini for LR 5.7, then buy a newer machine for everything else.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
It sounds like @kenoh's solution is the best and simplest.

The only reason for you to need to upgrade to a newer version of LR would be if you get a new camera that has a RAW profile which is unsupported by LR 5.7. But if you're sticking with the camera gear you have, then just buy whatever Mac you want, and keep the 2011 for occasional use.

The LR subscription is $10/mo. but the one you'd want, if you were to upgrade, would likely be Lightroom Classic, which is most cheaply available w/ Photoshop for $20/mo. Probably not worth it if you don't need it!

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
It sounds like @kenoh's solution is the best and simplest.

The only reason for you to need to upgrade to a newer version of LR would be if you get a new camera that has a RAW profile which is unsupported by LR 5.7. But if you're sticking with the camera gear you have, then just buy whatever Mac you want, and keep the 2011 for occasional use.

The LR subscription is $10/mo. but the one you'd want, if you were to upgrade, would likely be Lightroom Classic, which is most cheaply available w/ Photoshop for $20/mo. Probably not worth it if you don't need it!
Some friends and I were having a discussion around this very topic recently. You have to dig through the Adobe offerings (not on the main page under “All”, the sneaky so-n-sos) but the 10/mth plan with Lr classic, Lr and PS still seems to be available, at least for now. Look under “Photo” in the left panel and scroll down. https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

Reactions: Jumpthesnark
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.