Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beerbelly6219

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Ok just got a Canon Optura 600 and I can't seem to get iChat to work with it via firewire. I put the cam in network mode, start iChat. iChat see's the camera, but all I get is a black screen. A lot of times I get the message that the camera isn't available because another program is using the camera. I hope my cable is good, it's a firewire to DV cable I got with a powermac years ago. I have used the cable and it does pull files off the camera in iPhoto. I also tried using the camera in Photobooth and it sees the camera, but again I get a black screen. Since this is a new cam, I don't have a Tape, could it be because I have no tape?

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
evil_santa said:
from what i can tell from the canon website the Optura 600 only has USB2 and no firewire. For ichat, imove final cut you need a camera with Firewire.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/co...resAct&fcategoryid=166&modelid=11733&pageno=7

The Optura 600 DOES have firewire, I have the camera.
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/co...resAct&fcategoryid=166&modelid=11733&pageno=5

I havent tried it with iChat, but I know all the documentation states it will only work as a web cam with Win machines?

Beerbelly6219

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
ChrisFromCanada said:
Try putting the camera in regular camera mode, the mode you would use to shoot regular video with.

About to pull my hair out... (and I'm half bald) Ok it works with iMovie, but for the life of me I can't get it to work with iChat. The only bit of success I've had was to put it in Camera mode, network mode just doesn't work. When I put it in Camera mode it either shows a black screen, but if I unplug the firewire, then plug it back in I get about 5 seconds of working video then the frame freezes. The camera does have a firewire connection although Canon didn't supply the firewire DV cable. The cable I have came from either a G3 or G4 powermac. (Apple packed it with the computer) I think the cable is OK, because I can grab movies from it using iMovie or image capture.

Well thanks for the help thus far.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Beerbelly6219 said:
About to pull my hair out... (and I'm half bald) Ok it works with iMovie, but for the life of me I can't get it to work with iChat. The only bit of success I've had was to put it in Camera mode, network mode just doesn't work. When I put it in Camera mode it either shows a black screen, but if I unplug the firewire, then plug it back in I get about 5 seconds of working video then the frame freezes. The camera does have a firewire connection although Canon didn't supply the firewire DV cable. The cable I have came from either a G3 or G4 powermac. (Apple packed it with the computer) I think the cable is OK, because I can grab movies from it using iMovie or image capture.

Well thanks for the help thus far.

Neither the camcorders manual nor canon's website mention the ability to use as a web cam with OS X, they ONLY mention Win XP and it requires specific software. Call Canon support and see what they say

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.