Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Has anyone set up Windows 11 (ARM) on Oracle's Virtual Box on an Apple M Series processor with good results?

My current mac is about 5 years old and my working Windows 10 VM is holding me back from going to M series due to Windows 11 (being spyware and all) expense and the entire chore of getting everything re-installed from scratch.

Thanks in advance,

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
VirtualBox doesn't work natively on Apple silicon Macs. I think there is a beta that will emulate an 32-bit x86 CPU but that is probably going to be agonizingly slow. There are better choices. VMWare, Parallels, free UTM.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
It looks from this site, that Virtual Box does run natively on Apple ARM processors as of about October, 2022.

Am I misinterpreting this information?

----

Is anyone using Virtual Box with good results to run Windows ARM on Apple Silicon?

Thanks,

Reactions: jdb8167

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
Do you have to stick with oracle? VMware fusion is working well for me but not doing that much heavy lifting with it

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
It looks from this site, that Virtual Box does run natively on Apple ARM processors as of about October, 2022.

Am I misinterpreting this information?

----

Is anyone using Virtual Box with good results to run Windows ARM on Apple Silicon?
Thanks,

I don’t know. I did a Quick Look on their forums and didn’t see much except the emulated 32-bit x86 version. I’m willing to take your word on it.

Edit: I went to the link on that page download and didn’t see anything but Intel hosts. The page says:

Go to https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads to find the appropriate download, listed as “Developer preview for macOS / Arm64 (M1/M2) hosts”

but I don’t see that.

Edit the 2nd: I found this on the forums:
We decided to pull the 7.0 ARM builds because they don't see any significant progress apart from the usual fixes the other packages get as well. No performance improvements will be backported to 7.0. If one wants to have a peek whats cooking for VirtualBox on ARM use the development testbuilds.

Last edited:

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I don’t know. I did a Quick Look on their forums and didn’t see much except the emulated 32-bit x86 version. I’m willing to take your word on it.

Edit: I went to the link on that page download and didn’t see anything but Intel hosts. The page says:

Go to https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads to find the appropriate download, listed as “Developer preview for macOS / Arm64 (M1/M2) hosts”

but I don’t see that.

Edit the 2nd: I found this on the forums:
Thanks. Good info.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Do you have to stick with oracle? VMware fusion is working well for me but not doing that much heavy lifting with it
I use VM Fusion now, but now that Broadcom has bought/ruined the perpetual license I've always had with VM Fusion, I won't be using it any longer...

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
I use VM Fusion now, but now that Broadcom has bought/ruined the perpetual license I've always had with VM Fusion, I won't be using it any longer...
I've not paid for it and it seems to work fine. I switched from Parallels about a year ago.

Reactions: Mork

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
It doesn't seem like Broadcom has yet implemented the written-about subscription-only change with version 13.

So, you're using version 13 on Mac ARM with no issues? Is it fast? I find that VM Fusion on W10 is super quick.

Thanks,

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
Do you know if I'll need to purchase another VM Fusion license (13.5) to run on Windows ARM or will my existing license still work if I re-install VM Fusion on Apple Silicon?
I don't know, all I can say is that I have not purchased any licenses at all and it works fine with no restrictions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.