Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pingouin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
Can anyone tell me if Orange Box will run in a Macbook Pro SR in Parallels? If so, how? I tried installing HL2 and when it started to load, parallels quit unexpectedly... Thanks in advance!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Actually people mentioned it will work in Cross Over. You might want to try out their demo.

In general VMWare is faster than Parallels. So I would try VMWare first, if you need to run windoze along with OS X.

There is another thread on the orange box though...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Look realistically if you want to be playing 'current releases' game wise then you simply DO NOT want to be doing it in a virtual environment.

Games are probably the most resource hungry things on PC's these days and require every single last grunt of power to make the most of them.

As good as all the virtual solutions are... the simple truth is they are designed for general applications and not gaming. Sure they have made efforts to include DX 8.1 - but hell how long has DX9 been the defacto for gaming (5,6 years ?) so you are still at the end of the day crippled.

There are solutions to the problem.

Install windows in bootcamp. Install the game and enjoy all the fun of the fair with your mac being used to it's advantage.

You can still use parallels with your BC partition inside Mac OSX if you need to quick boot up the PC side of things for other day to day tasks.

That way you only have one version of XP / Vista installed, and the choice of using it in a virtual or native environment.

user13

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
In general VMWare is faster than Parallels.
Well, I didn't have such an impression, in fact when I first saw VMWare 'live'. It is not much faster that Parallels... Well, maybe I don't have the full picture of it. What definite situations do you mean?

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Well, I didn't have such an impression, in fact when I first saw VMWare 'live'. It is not much faster that Parallels... Well, maybe I don't have the full picture of it. What definite situations do you mean?

In general day to day usage, I find Fusion faster, and more stable. Running XP, the UI is more responsive, and loading apps is quicker. Running Solaris DE is the same, though I think a lot of that is due to *nixes being better supported by VMware.

I haven't tried games under Parallels, but most games I've tried under VMware have been very playable ( and I'm on a MacBook! ).

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

If you have NOT used something personally, please do not offer your speculation.

Just find professional reviews and user forums, almost all of them say that the current VMWare is faster than Parallels.

However for games, I would use Boot Camp instead of virtualization.

user13

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
Dual Booting really offers better performance and graphic support than virtualization. But running games in Mac OS is much more comfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.