Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefrogx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2017
Is it possible to bypass the page that confirms the carrier/account information? Seeing as Verizon phones are compatible with all carriers (and have the most stock) and I'm looking to buy the iPhone X in full, I was wondering if I can just buy a Verizon phone online without needing a Verizon account.

In the past I've just been able to buy it out right in the store but I wanted to reserve a phone to pick up later and use with my current carrier. Anyone else try this or find a way around this?

Thanks!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you go to the store and one is, by chance available, you could but it. Right now if doing preordering it has to be though one of the carriers for activation. I think it is a deal Apple makes to keep the carriers happy until the SIM free units are introduced.

masciam

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Unfortunately there is no way around it. The only one you can buy online without a carrier account is t-mobile.

applefrogx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2017
If you go to the store and one is, by chance available, you could but it. Right now if doing preordering it has to be though one of the carriers for activation. I think it is a deal Apple makes to keep the carriers happy until the SIM free units are introduced.

Unfortunately there is no way around it. The only one you can buy online without a carrier account is t-mobile.

I was afraid that was the case. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Newtons Apple

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I just hit this myself. Saw that my local Apple store had some stock but when I went through trying to purchase it for pickup it wanted me to enter my cell phone # for Verizon so that it would be "already configured" for me. I'm an AT&T customer but have been on the fence about switching to Verizon (or some other carrier) so I want the Verizon model. A couple of hours later and it's no longer showing any stock at that store. :(

So if I found out that my local Verizon store had some in stock, would they allow me to buy one at full price with an unlocked phone without being a Verizon customer?

What about Best Buy, Target, etc.?

rockonz

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
So if I found out that my local Verizon store had some in stock, would they allow me to buy one at full price with an unlocked phone without being a Verizon customer?

No I already tried this. Verizon does not sell phones outright and they only sell it attached to a current line. Same as online, you would have to have a friend with a Verizon account add it to their line, pay it off in full, switch the phone off their line and give it to you.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
No I already tried this. Verizon does not sell phones outright and they only sell it attached to a current line. Same as online, you would have to have a friend with a Verizon account add it to their line, pay it off in full, switch the phone off their line and give it to you.
Meh..that sucks. Especially since I just checked the Verizon site and my local store has one in stock. But thanks for the quick reply!

What about Best Buy and/or Target?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I just hit this myself. Saw that my local Apple store had some stock but when I went through trying to purchase it for pickup it wanted me to enter my cell phone # for Verizon so that it would be "already configured" for me. I'm an AT&T customer but have been on the fence about switching to Verizon (or some other carrier) so I want the Verizon model. A couple of hours later and it's no longer showing any stock at that store. :(

Your you can try your luck at the apple store at 10 am. They only set a few aside to allow for online order pick-up, and the rest of the shipments they receive are walk-ins. So just because apple.com shows currently unavailable doesn't mean they don't have it.

I was at the Apple store at 9:45 am, asked that I wanted the Verizon SG 256 GB and they had them in stock. So I did a walk-in reservation, purchased my phone and walked out. All in 2 minutes.

rockonz

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
Meh..that sucks. Especially since I just checked the Verizon site and my local store has one in stock. But thanks for the quick reply!

What about Best Buy and/or Target?

Best Buy and/or Target are fair game just like the apple store. Verizon phone will be unlocked and ready for whatever sim you have.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I forgot to ask about Walmart. I imagine they would be another place I'd be allowed to purchase it at full price unlocked?

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Bumping this thread to get a response on my Walmart question.

Also, a new question: So, as I mentioned, I have AT&T but would like to get the Verizon model. My father *does* have Verizon service. Could I enter his credentials on Apple's website to reserve a Verizon model? Would they just use his # to confirm his "eligibility" for a Verizon model, but not actually open up the box and preconfigure the phone? I have a hunch that's the case. The website asks for his phone #, zip code, and last 4 digits of his SSN, but states that he can continue to use his current phone. So my guess is that they're not actually going to even open up the box of the new phone and do anything with it. And even if they did, if I'm paying full price, it should be unlocked and, based on my understand of reading around here, I should still be able to put my AT&T SIM in it.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Bumping this thread to get a response on my Walmart question.

Also, a new question: So, as I mentioned, I have AT&T but would like to get the Verizon model. My father *does* have Verizon service. Could I enter his credentials on Apple's website to reserve a Verizon model? Would they just use his # to confirm his "eligibility" for a Verizon model, but not actually open up the box and preconfigure the phone? I have a hunch that's the case. The website asks for his phone #, zip code, and last 4 digits of his SSN, but states that he can continue to use his current phone. So my guess is that they're not actually going to even open up the box of the new phone and do anything with it. And even if they did, if I'm paying full price, it should be unlocked and, based on my understand of reading around here, I should still be able to put my AT&T SIM in it.

This year is a bit different then normal, if you have to enter his information, you will have to activate the phone on his account first, before you can put your sim in and use it on at&t. So the activated sim would now hold his service, you would have to give that to him to put in his phone he is currently using.

rsbacon

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2015
Could you maybe sign up as a new postpaid customer with the "S" 2GB plan for $35/mo and BYOD, buy the phone outright or on IUP using this account, then cancel service in a day?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.