Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmilesLots

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
SW Virginia
For some time I have been wanting to upgrade my G4 Mac Mini. So yesterday Amazon sent me an ad for $30.00 off. Not much but enough to get me to order. Now all my main computers are Intel two core jobbers. Now what can the old G4 1.42 Ghz mini be used for without having to buy another monitor, keyboard and mouse?

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wow $30 bucks off. So what was the final price for your Mini, $640? How did you get the coupon? I'm looking at ordering one right now, but would love to save some more if I can.

Funny thing is that I don't have a Mini yet, but I already ordered the 8GB kit from OWC :D

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Wow $30 bucks off. So what was the final price for your Mini, $640? How did you get the coupon? I'm looking at ordering one right now, but would love to save some more if I can.

Funny thing is that I don't have a Mini yet, but I already ordered the 8GB kit from OWC :D

Might just be the $30 off standard $699 price.

No tax is nice too.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Might just be the $30 off standard $699 price.

No tax is nice too.

Ok, you sold me. I just ordered one. I was going to get the Mini server but decided that this is going to go in the bedroom for my wife and to be used with our HDTV. I'm going to pick up a MBP for myself, throw the 8GB memory in it and put the 4GB from the MBP into the new Mini.

I can't believe after all of these years we will finally have a Mini in the house!

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Ok, you sold me. I just ordered one.

I'm going to pick up a MBP for myself, throw the 8GB memory in it and put the 4GB from the MBP into the new Mini.

Congrats... that wasn't too hard of a sell :). That said, the Amazon pricing is a pretty smoking deal in comparison with purchasing directly from Apple. It makes price for the Mini go from Over-priced to somewhat tolerable.

You figure with approximately 8% sales tax, the $699 Mac Mini from Apple is $755~. Amazon sells tax free to most states for $670~. That's a nice $80 savings.

I live in an area that has 9.25% sales tax, so I saved almost $93 instead of buying from Apple. I also signed up for the Amazon Credit Card, in which a promotion is offered for $40 off, and in addition to that, got approximately $20 worth of 'Points' that I can redeem for a Gift Card.

Add all of that up and I 'saved' about $150~ just by buying it from Amazon :eek:. $610 and no tax for the new Mac Mini? Not a bad deal, I'd say. :cool:

Additionally, good plan for the MBP and Mini RAM swap. I'm doing the same thing. Bought a 6GB kit for my MBP (limited to 6GB), then moving the 4GB from that into the Mac Mini. Two upgrades for the price of one :).

MrMoore

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
Arlington Heights,IL
I bought one too. :D

Bought it through the Apple store to get the 500 GB HD. It should arrive on Tuesday.

I am getting it to be my main Mac. Ever since I bought an iPad, I have been using my MBP less and less as a portable device. I have a keyboard, mouse and monitor connected to it. It is basically a desktop now :rolleyes:

So the MacMini will be my Mac. The iPad for remote. Then sell the MBP.

Can't wait! :cool:

SmilesLots

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
SW Virginia
Thanks to all. I figure the 320 gb drive is a lot more than the 60gb or so in the present mini, and since I will not be doing much to tax the internal drive, that should suffice. I almost always use big external drives for data.

The memory will probably get maxed pretty soon. The Amazon deal was in an email. Probably their regular price. Free shipping. No tax. Total: $669.99. And I'm hearing all kinds of good things about this mini. Yeah - lots of comparisons that say it is slower than xx.xx. But I am sure that compared to what it is replacing, it will be a screamer. Ha ha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.