Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hidea

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2006
i just ordered my MacPro with 23" display....

I'm having setbacks, and wonder if I should wait a little longer for an update. :/

what do you say?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
If you need it, get it. If you don't, wait. Either way, even if updates come out tomorrow for some reason, you'd be getting an incredibly powerful and capable machine, one that would not be "out of date" by any means for a long time.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
i just ordered my MacPro with 23" display....

I'm having setbacks, and wonder if I should wait a little longer for an update. :/

what do you say?

Well, an update is kind of expected so buy if you have to. Its a bit of a funny situation though because they might go Octo core in which case they will lose the 3Ghz model. If they did update and go octo core then I'd expect a quad core 2.0Ghz model (single chip), quad core 2.66Ghz model (single chip) and octo core 2.66Ghz model (dual chip). Something along those lines anyway. Price reductions on the 2.0Ghz quad and 2.66Ghz quad too.

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Well, an update is kind of expected so buy if you have to. Its a bit of a funny situation though because they might go Octo core in which case they will lose the 3Ghz model. If they did update and go octo core then I'd expect a quad core 2.0Ghz model (single chip), quad core 2.66Ghz model (single chip) and octo core 2.66Ghz model (dual chip). Something along those lines anyway. Price reductions on the 2.0Ghz quad and 2.66Ghz quad too.

I just ordered one because of what you said. If they update it will likely just be 8-core and/or blu-ray. Neither of which excite me that much. I would be hard pressed to really push eight cores, but I think I can give 4 a pretty good beating. That said...I ordered. Time will tell if it was a good decision, but there were some work related reasons that further instigated the need to purchase now.

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006

It will be interesting to see what they do. There are some trade offs between 2 2.67 woodcrests and 1 2.67 clovertown (you lose half the cache), but the chips get better priced (iirc a 2.67 clovertown costs the same as a 3.0 woodcrest).

cheers.

hidea

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2006
so, what do I do? only a few hours till the grace priod of canceling my order.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
so, what do I do? only a few hours till the grace priod of canceling my order.

Cancel and wait for judgement day?

The fact is, with a Mac Pro, even if Apple do announce updates in the near future, the Mac Pro is sooooo upgradable that you will simply be able to make the update yourself. Of course, you might be a bit out of pocket if they happen to knock down prices, but either way you're going to have a very good machine.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
To be honest I think, for the medium term, quad core is going to offer better performance for the vast majority of people. I see little to no point in waiting for revised Mac Pro's given that the current crop are so powerful and capable, and pretty much flawless.

hidea

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2006
Cancel and wait for judgement day?

The fact is, with a Mac Pro, even if Apple do announce updates in the near future, the Mac Pro is sooooo upgradable that you will simply be able to make the update yourself. Of course, you might be a bit out of pocket if they happen to knock down prices, but either way you're going to have a very good machine.

Very true!

Keepin' it :D

thanks mate ;)

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
It will be interesting to see what they do. There are some trade offs between 2 2.67 woodcrests and 1 2.67 clovertown (you lose half the cache), but the chips get better priced (iirc a 2.67 clovertown costs the same as a 3.0 woodcrest).

cheers.

I can't see Apple offering the option of 1 Clovertown at all. Certainly a way to make more money, or offer a better price. But that means they would be selling machines that are not as good as the previous Rev. They could obviously offer both options, but that, along with the previous sentance, seem very un-Apple to me. Also on pricing, Dell charge only $100 less for a single clovertown as opposed to dual woodcrests all at 2.66Ghz.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Personally, I'd wait. If you want a quad-core machine no matter what, then you can get one now if you need one or just can't stand your current machine. If you'd be interested in maybe paying a some more and getting an 8-core machine, it's probably not too far off.

hidea

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2006
Ooohh bloody nutter. The MP was shipped yesterday, and there's a prediction to update today :/. Expecting it today.

BLOODY HELL! bollocks :/.

I do have an ACD going back. Maybe I should give them a call and cancel it, and reorder new ACD if there's indeed an update to ACDs.

Funny thing was, I did have a 'problem' to my shipping. Apple wouldn't specify what it was. Maybe they were trying to tell me that they're updating my system. It happened before. And I gave 'em a hard time for not shippin' it on time. (I didn't exactly yelled and cussed and such, but I told them I want it to be shipped by Tuesday). I should've let them kept it delayed, then maybe I could change my configuration.

Comfort me :p

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
You'll be amazed with your Mac Pro wether its got 4 cores or 8 cores! :D plus like someone else said, they are upgradeable.

ACD on the other hand, I'd prob cancel it and wait a few more weeks if you can

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Ooohh bloody nutter. The MP was shipped yesterday, and there's a prediction to update today :/. Expecting it today.

BLOODY HELL! bollocks :/.

I do have an ACD going back. Maybe I should give them a call and cancel it, and reorder new ACD if there's indeed an update to ACDs.

Funny thing was, I did have a 'problem' to my shipping. Apple wouldn't specify what it was. Maybe they were trying to tell me that they're updating my system. It happened before. And I gave 'em a hard time for not shippin' it on time. (I didn't exactly yelled and cussed and such, but I told them I want it to be shipped by Tuesday). I should've let them kept it delayed, then maybe I could change my configuration.

Comfort me :p

LOL no updates today for either the MacPro or the Displays. You did good. Enjoy your fine machine when it comes.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Can you even use 4 cores, let alone 8?

You have to look at what you really need instead of what you can get.

Sure 8 is a bigger number than 4 but may not perform better. If I were buying today it would be the 3.0Ghz Xeon, which will be faster at tasks that aren't heavily multithreaded.

Not to mention power usage. But of course, it is my understanding that few people in the states care about such things ;) 8 cores will chew more power.

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Can you even use 4 cores, let alone 8?

You have to look at what you really need instead of what you can get.

Sure 8 is a bigger number than 4 but may not perform better. If I were buying today it would be the 3.0Ghz Xeon, which will be faster at tasks that aren't heavily multithreaded.

Not to mention power usage. But of course, it is my understanding that few people in the states care about such things ;) 8 cores will chew more power.

I agree. Just ordered (and received!!!) a 4-core. I didn't expect to benefit much from 8-cores, especially as the current 8-core chips have slower clock speeds.

I am, however, waiting for new ACDs!!!!

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
The current Mac Pro's and ACD's are pretty awesome. I can really see very little reason to wait.

My Mac Pro is the server for our network, runs god knows how many programs under Rosetta, plays my games and stays up continuously between Apple updates (last uptime was over a month, it would've been longer if it wasn't for the updates). It's blisteringly fast and, without wanting to jinx its future, fault free. There's just no point in waiting.

ACD's... well that's a bit different. A display is a display, and if the current range somehow disappoints you then hold off. However, my 23" and 30" ACD's are the best monitors I've ever owned, are again fault free, and match the Mac Pro, in particular, beautifully. Unless there are specific technical limitations to the current displays that make them a deal-breaker I see little point in waiting.

Of course, for anyone who doesn't need either, feel free to wait indefinitely ;)

hidea

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2006
Thanks everyone for the comments, but it's a little late, as the thread was created like... on the 23rd. It's coming my way in a few hours.

I can clearly see the reason to wait, but my hands says "we must touch that pretty big shiny silver/metal thing"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.