Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
It was made available today I watched all the Hands on, and this looks like a fantastic tablet for the money. Ordered the 64gb version with the case and the stylus. It's running full windows 8.1. Also has a Micro SD Card slot and built in 4g radio, you have to add your own sim, all that for $349. The Screen is only 1280x800 but all reports gives top marks for viewing angles and picture. I'll post some impressions when I receive it next week

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
will do , the wireless Keyboard is not available yet, have to get that later.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Keep us updated, very interested in this. Only wish it had hdmi out.

It does have a micro usb and I was told you could use a micro USB Display adapter and that there are drivers which will output video out of it.

Rangomango

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
It does have a micro usb and I was told you could use a micro USB Display adapter and that there are drivers which will output video out of it.

Oh really? Could you post a link to that article? If it supports mhl then that would be awesome!

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

If Windows 8.1 is on it, then it should have display/audio out drivers via micro USB to hdmi. Adaptor should not be needed, unless Dell is forcing mhl standards.

I have to look, but I would assume you should just need to buy the one cord which has micro USB on one end and HDMI on the other. If Dell was smart, they did not go the proprietary adaptor route.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It was made available today I watched all the Hands on, and this looks like a fantastic tablet for the money. Ordered the 64gb version with the case and the stylus. It's running full windows 8.1. Also has a Micro SD Card slot and built in 4g radio, you have to add your own sim, all that for $349. The Screen is only 1280x800 but all reports gives top marks for viewing angles and picture. I'll post some impressions when I receive it next week

You get LTE for $349, wow. I was going to wait to see what other manufacturers offered first, but this Dell looks VERY enticing.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
You get LTE for $349, wow. I was going to wait to see what other manufacturers offered first, but this Dell looks VERY enticing.

there is a sim slot, now I have an AT+T Sim , and they said it works with AT+T , so I should be able to activate it, but I have heard horror stories about trying to activate tablets not on AT+T's list so we'll see, but I thought 64gb, Full Windows, Stylus support, MicroSD slot, Lte , was a lot of tablet for the money, these have the new quad core Bay Trail processors, so it looks speedy enough, I'm sure Win 8.1 will eat up a lot of the 64gb that's why I didn't go with 32gb.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
there is a sim slot, now I have an AT+T Sim , and they said it works with AT+T , so I should be able to activate it, but I have heard horror stories about trying to activate tablets not on AT+T's list so we'll see, but I thought 64gb, Full Windows, Stylus support, MicroSD slot, Lte , was a lot of tablet for the money, these have the new quad core Bay Trail processors, so it looks speedy enough, I'm sure Win 8.1 will eat up a lot of the 64gb that's why I didn't go with 32gb.

I have a Lenovo tablet on AT&T and it was a snap to set up, so you shouldn;t have any issues. Kind of odd, but I'm not seeing the 64gb/LTE model, I only see the $299 one on their site available to customize.

Last edited:

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I have a Lenovo tablet on AT&T and it was a snap to set up, so you shouldn;t have any issues. Kind of odd, but I'm not seeing the 64gb/LTE model, I only see the $299 one on their site available to customize.

I saw that too, the tech confirmed it has a sim slot

And the reviews have show it as well

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
WOW ! If .. And only if I can sync my iPod with this baby I'm going to buy it the next second.

Engagdet says the battery life is between 8-10 hours. Heck, if I get 6-7 out of this baby it should be awesome.

Since it has full Windows I should be able to sync hard drives and other stuff right ?

Thanks Dell for making me for the first time wanting to buy a tablet.

1280x800 in 8" is ok even for today's standards.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
WOW ! If .. And only if I can sync my iPod with this baby I'm going to buy it the next second.

Engagdet says the battery life is between 8-10 hours. Heck, if I get 6-7 out of this baby it should be awesome.

Since it has full Windows I should be able to sync hard drives and other stuff right ?

Thanks Dell for making me for the first time wanting to buy a tablet.

1280x800 in 8" is ok even for today's standards.

Yep, it functions as a full windows device. Anything you can do on a desktop or laptop you can do on it, including syncing your ipod.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Yep, it functions as a full windows device. Anything you can do on a desktop or laptop you can do on it, including syncing your ipod.

Awesome ! I like the Lenovo Miix 2 design more but it seems the battery is regarded at 7 hour vs the 10 hour Dell claims.
Will wait another week for the proper reviews but I am buying this tablet.
I don't care about 4G anyway, even 3G is fine by my standards, and my phone will be the internet device anyway.

I will also be getting the 64gb model.

I am sure the iPad 5 will have faster flash storage, better camera and all that, but I'll have W8.1 in the palm of my hand running at least decently and for just 350$. Can't beat that.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Awesome ! I like the Lenovo Miix 2 design more but it seems the battery is regarded at 7 hour vs the 10 hour Dell claims.
Will wait another week for the proper reviews but I am buying this tablet.
I don't care about 4G anyway, even 3G is fine by my standards, and my phone will be the internet device anyway.

I will also be getting the 64gb model.

I am sure the iPad 5 will have faster flash storage, better camera and all that, but I'll have W8.1 in the palm of my hand running at least decently and for just 350$. Can't beat that.

It's supposed to get LTE, I'm just not sure why they wouldn't advertise it. I'd be hesitant until others receive there tablets. If I get a chance on the way home I'll call Dell and ask.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Official pics with the cover.
I love the fact that it covers both sides and that the stylus can be atached to it.
Just perfect.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/PopupProductDetail.aspx?cs=19&l=en&c=us&sku=460-BBHK&price=39.99

After some digging the Lenovo's tablet doesn't have active digitizer on the display and the before mentioned lower battery life.

This seals it. I'm gonna get the Dell.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Seems like a great deal especially considering its bay trail and seems to have an ips screen unlike the acer which has terrible view angles.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I want to get one too, but I have a feeling it will come with less than 10 GB free space, and is 2 GB ram really enough for full blown windows? Are SD cards convenient, or are they just slow flash drives for pictures and not apps?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I want to get one too, but I have a feeling it will come with less than 10 GB free space, and is 2 GB ram really enough for full blown windows? Are SD cards convenient, or are they just slow flash drives for pictures and not apps?

Yeah 2gb ram is enough for most anything light weight, I mean you are not going to be running full photoshop on an 8" tablet, although you could with fairly small size graphics. Certainly for most "dumb" tablet activities it's more than enough in my experience, and that's with Clovertrail which is it's weaker predecessor.

Hard drive space, you can delete the windows Recovery partition and regain most of that space back. But I would definitely recommend getting the 64gb version for sure. As for SD cards, I think you can get them pretty huge, larger than the microSD. You can also always use a microSD to SD adapter so you can just buy a microSD and use it in all your devices. I'm not sure about the differences in speed though.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Office is free, right?

Have not bought anything with Win 8 yet. Time to look at this one if I can find it at a retailer.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Office is free, right?

Have not bought anything with Win 8 yet. Time to look at this one if I can find it at a retailer.

Office 2013 Home and Student is free, yep. That's Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote I believe, no Outlook though.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Not the same thing, but I just ordered the android based Venue 8 tablet, 32gb for $163. I already have 2 iPads and iPhones, a windows 8 tablet (dell latitude 10) so I've been wanting to play around with Android. Figured at this price it was worth it.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I saw that too, the tech confirmed it has a sim slot

And the reviews have show it as well

The tech confirmed? You mean the salesman? At present, they are not offering the LTE model. And when they do, it will be at a higher price.

Having said that, the tablet looks good. Also, the $349 for 64 gb is a good price. However, the stylus is an extra $34. First, I would like to see more reviews. We'll see...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The tech confirmed? You mean the salesman? At present, they are not offering the LTE model. And when they do, it will be at a higher price.

Having said that, the tablet looks good. Also, the $349 for 64 gb is a good price. However, the stylus is an extra $34. First, I would like to see more reviews. We'll see...

Yeah I don't think it will have cellular, its probably a dummy slot. OP let us know when you get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.