Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
So I'm looking to buy a new iMac after the holidays. I went to apple.com and put in the specifications: the RAM I want, drive space, CPU speed, etc., and was told that I can't get it at any of my nearby Apple stores (there are at least three in my vicinity) and ergo would have to directly order it from apple.com.

Now...it gives me two options: 1) pay it all at once (nope -- I have a steady income but I'm not rich!), or 2) put it on my Apple Card (that is, the GS thing) and pay in monthly interest-free installments.

The thing is...I want to put some kind of deposit down: a little bit on my debit card, some from Apple Cash, some from an Apple Store gift card...but it doesn't appear that they allow that. It looks like they force you to put down the exact deposit they WANT you to put down, and that's it. (And allegedly there's a way to put down a BIGGER deposit, but as I kind of simulated my purchase, I saw no such option during checkout.)

Is there indeed a way that I can do this??

ireadblitz

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
So you're saying you don't see a way to:

1. Custom deposit from a debit card
2. Apply a random Apple cash amount
3. A 3rd form of payment from a gift card.
4. Then finally apple card for installment payments on the balance ?

Payment options and financing is always up to the retailer so I am not surprised you're not finding a way to enter 4 different payment sources with a custom self chosen deposit ?‍♂️ That's not really how things work.

Call Apple and figure it out, only they will really be able to tell you.

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
It's doable in person. You'd think they'd find a way to do that online too. (Gee, the web site I work on for a living, which has nowhere near the scope of Apple, can do it.)

ireadblitz

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Well seems like you found your answer. Best of luck to your in person transaction.

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
(How did I KNOW that I would have to say this?)

As I said in the original post, I apparently can't get what I want in person. My wife suggested just going to the store and say, "Here's the iMac I want, how do I get it?" and see what happens.

ireadblitz

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
I agree with your wife's suggestion. Or just try calling to see if there's a way to do it via the web.

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
I ended up calling the Apple Store. Because I want the iMac to be built to my specs, it's a custom job that they won't send to the Apple Store, so they have to ship it directly to me. My two payment options: pay just one lump sum up front with up to 8 gift cards and the balance on another form of payment (w/interest if it's not debit, regardless of whether it's the Apple Card or an Apple-backed credit card), or put it all on the Apple Card with no interest: no down payments, no gift cards, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.