Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AronDraws

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Burbank, CA
Hi! I'm pretty excited as it turns out I will be able to get the iPhone SE, but I've never ordered a new phone from Apple before and I'm not sure how to go about this--

I was wondering when they will go on sale (is it at midnight tonight or in the morning at a particular time PST?) and I was also wondering how fast their shipping usually is. I ask because with it's ship date at the end of the month, I'm most likely going to have to have it sent to work as I can't trust anything getting left on my doorstep :/

Also-- I have StraightTalk so I need to get the unlocked phone but will I have to do anything special besides charge it up and put my sim card in? And I'll try to get AppleCare-- does that start when I receive the phone or when I order it? And finally-- in the off chance something is screwy, can I return/exchange it at an apple store or do I have to mail it back in?

So excited! Thank you for putting up with my silly questions :D

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I always order from Apple. If you're one of the first to order, it will *arrive* on the launch date so all you lose is sleep when waking up in the middle of the night to order it. :) It should go on sale at Midnight pacific time on the preorder date.

If the phone breaks or you have any issues with it, you'll be able to just take it to the Apple Store.

Also, I don't know if this preorder will be as frantic as a usual preorder, but download and use the iPhone/iPad app, as it has, in my experience, come online sooner than the website.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's all pretty straightforward. It gets delivered either FedEx or UPS. The actual phone box itself will be strapped via clear plastic wrap to a stiff piece of cardboard inside a larger box.

If you are paying full price and getting the SIM Free model, then yes all you will need to do is insert your SIM and activate the phone.

Returns can be handled online or at any Apple store. And AC+ will start at the time they actually charge your credit card (because that's when it's considered to be paid for).

PS. If you're like I am and you can get the time the device ships (via the tracking number) you can look up FedEx or UPS flights on flightaware.com that correspond to when your device is marked as having shipped.

I tracked my iPhone 5 UPS flight from Louisville to Phoenix in 2012. Two hour trip. :D

Good luck!

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Also-- I have StraightTalk so I need to get the unlocked phone but will I have to do anything special besides charge it up and put my sim card in? And I'll try to get AppleCare-- does that start when I receive the phone or when I order it? And finally-- in the off chance something is screwy, can I return/exchange it at an apple store or do I have to mail it back in?

So excited! Thank you for putting up with my silly questions :D

The iPhone SE requires a Nano-SIM. So you might need a new Nano-SIM or to cut your current SIM down to a Nano-SIM using on of the various methods. What type of SIM do you currently have?

Dave

AronDraws

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Burbank, CA
The iPhone SE requires a Nano-SIM. So you might need a new Nano-SIM or to cut your current SIM down to a Nano-SIM using on of the various methods. What type of SIM do you currently have?

Dave

I have an iPhone 5 right now. I had gotten it used from my friend, but it turns out it had a swollen battery and was ready to burst, so the apple store gave me a refurb to replace it-- but it was a bit of a lemon and had fatal hardware issues. Im guessing the sim card will be the same size as that since Im not switching from android to iPhone this time around.

I always order from Apple. If you're one of the first to order, it will *arrive* on the launch date so all you lose is sleep when waking up in the middle of the night to order it. :) It should go on sale at Midnight pacific time on the preorder date.

If the phone breaks or you have any issues with it, you'll be able to just take it to the Apple Store.

Also, I don't know if this preorder will be as frantic as a usual preorder, but download and use the iPhone/iPad app, as it has, in my experience, come online sooner than the website.

Awesome thank you! I shall do this! I just want to make sure I can get it as soon as I can as my used phone is struggling. I'm usually up working on freelance past 12-1 am so this shouldn't be an issue :D

It's all pretty straightforward. It gets delivered either FedEx or UPS. The actual phone box itself will be strapped via clear plastic wrap to a stiff piece of cardboard inside a larger box.

If you are paying full price and getting the SIM Free model, then yes all you will need to do is insert your SIM and activate the phone.

Returns can be handled online or at any Apple store. And AC+ will start at the time they actually charge your credit card (because that's when it's considered to be paid for).

PS. If you're like I am and you can get the time the device ships (via the tracking number) you can look up FedEx or UPS flights on flightaware.com that correspond to when your device is marked as having shipped.

I tracked my iPhone 5 UPS flight from Louisville to Phoenix in 2012. Two hour trip. :D

Good luck!

Sweet! Thanks! Im glad to know this! I think I will try tracking it too-- that must be fun!

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sweet! Thanks! Im glad to know this! I think I will try tracking it too-- that must be fun!
it was! I knew the exact time my phone landed in Phoenix.

The only drawback was that my phone landed around 2pm or so on September 20. So I had to wait until UPS processed it through their system, loaded it on their truck and then sent it out - all the time knowing when the phone had actually arrived.

Had I not tracked it all I would have been able to go by was UPS's tracking system.

A little bit of info can be dangerous - to yourself, LOL!

Reactions: LiveM and AronDraws

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
And AC+ will start at the time they actually charge your credit card (because that's when it's considered to be paid for).
Just to be clear, AppleCare+ will start when you are charged for the plan, but will be retroactive to when the device was purchased (note: the card is charged when phone ships). For example, if you buy the phone and 30 days later you buy AC+, it will expire once the phone turns 2 years old... not 2 years and 30 days old.

Also, you have to purchase AC+ within 60 days of buying the phone.

AronDraws

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Burbank, CA
What should you expect? An awesome phone.....enjoy!

I sure hope so! Fingers crossed I can buy one early enough! :D

Just to be clear, AppleCare+ will start when you are charged for the plan, but will be retroactive to when the device was purchased (note: the card is charged when phone ships). For example, if you buy the phone and 30 days later you buy AC+, it will expire once the phone turns 2 years old... not 2 years and 30 days old.

Also, you have to purchase AC+ within 60 days of buying the phone.
Oh cool, thank you!
[doublepost=1458775807][/doublepost]
it was! I knew the exact time my phone landed in Phoenix.

The only drawback was that my phone landed around 2pm or so on September 20. So I had to wait until UPS processed it through their system, loaded it on their truck and then sent it out - all the time knowing when the phone had actually arrived.

Had I not tracked it all I would have been able to go by was UPS's tracking system.

A little bit of info can be dangerous - to yourself, LOL!
HAHA! Yeah I always get so high strung worrying about stuff in the mail. I ordered a shuffle the other year and it got passed back and forth between 3 locations for a few days and then it disappeared off the face of the planet. Apple never did find it, but they sent me a replacement :D

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
HAHA! Yeah I always get so high strung worrying about stuff in the mail. I ordered a shuffle the other year and it got passed back and forth between 3 locations for a few days and then it disappeared off the face of the planet. Apple never did find it, but they sent me a replacement :D
My wife and I ordered iPods in 2011. Tracked them from China. Mine went straight through from Anchorage to Ontario to Phoenix. My wife's went from Anchorage to Louisville and then to Phoenix.

Needless to say, I got my iPod before she got hers. :D

BradWould

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ordering launch day products from Apple is a Blast. You need to make sure you follow all of the action here. It goes something like:

"mines preparing for shipment"

"what?!? mine still says processing"

"Does anybody know why mine is still processing?"

"Mine changed to shipped!! Here we go!"

"OMG. Mine is still processing. Will I get it launch day?!"

"No"

"Yes"

"It finally shipped but the tracking info isn't updating"

"you can check UPS via your phone number as reference. "

"it's the day before launch and mines still in Mt. Juliet"

"It'll never make it for launch day"

"Nevermind it just arrived"

"Why is the screen so yellow?"

Annnnd scene

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.