Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
I have a mint condition, barely used original Airport card. nothing is occuping the card. Should I keep the card for a few years then try to sell and makes some big bucks because they are already rare? Or, should I just go sell now and make $130 or something like that.

Sorry if it doesn't sound right or punctuation is wrong... I just woke up :eek:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
The longer you keep hold of it, the less people will have a Mac that will require the older card (as they upgrade, they'll be wanting an Airport extreme card, or whatever comes along next to replace it).

Your best bet is probably just to pop it in the post to me – it'll go nicely with my G3 iBook. I won't charge you anything for taking it off your hands, seeing as how it's Christmas. :p

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
E-bay it now. I think a lot of people may be updating their harware in the near future with intel based macs so sell now while prices are sky high for the older airport cards.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The original Ariport card has an inflated value right now, but as the G3 and older G4 machines stop being used they will become less valuable. If you want to make some money I'd say sell now - I doubt the value will go up much more.

Chasealicious

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
Fayetteville, AR
And by "sell it right away," he means send it to me. This Sawtooth tower I just picked up could sure use it!

If you send it overnight I can have it by Christmas!

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
i got mine recently for around 75 bucks on ebay, and there were a alot to bid on at that time. As others noted though, the "demand" for them will only go down if you wait. It's just not associated with computers that are recent enough to warrant keeping or upgrading.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I called a local dealer today about an airport extreme card for my sister; he mentioned in passing that he was charging $130 for an original airport card. (He's also charging $99 for an extreme card apple sells for $79). Knowing mac users, there will be demand for old hardware for years to come; I dont think it will be much of a gamble to hold it for a while.

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
How much more could the cards value possibly go up. Except for a collector who would pay more for the original card than what the computer its going into will be worth. So IMO I would sell it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.