Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamC88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2017
Hi everyone!

I own an original iPad Air I bought for my wife sometime end 2013. Just this week, it stopped holding a charge. Basically couldn't be charged more than 1% and finally just kept showing the charging screen with the battery icon showing red bars (doesn't move no matter how long I kept it plugged in). Now it doesn't even turn on.

Solutions I've tried - I tried hard reset and even different charging cables. When I brought it to the nearest Apple Service centre, they couldn't figure it out either and said its a hardware issue and I should do a whole unit replacement (Costing MYR 1500 or USD$350). Obviously, I'm not keen to pay that amount especially when the unit is only less than 4 years old.

I've been in touch with Apple about this issue and they are trying to help.

Was wondering if any iPad Air owners out there facing similar issues? Ie battery doesn't hold a charge or doesn't charge up. Is this a common problem with iPad Air's from that year?

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
I just traded my Air 1 in last month, and it held charge perfectly from when I got it at launch. It had 350 cycles on it. Sounds like something indeed is up with the hardware. What’s it do when you plug it in your computer? Anything?

Also don’t pay that $350 when you can get a brand new one for that!

Reactions: Donfor39

SamC88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2017
I just traded my Air 1 in last month, and it held charge perfectly from when I got it at launch. It had 350 cycles on it. Sounds like something indeed is up with the hardware. What’s it do when you plug it in your computer? Anything?

Also don’t pay that $350 when you can get a brand new one for that!

Did you have the same issues? I'm not sure how many cycles mine had. When plugged in it would show the charging screen with the battery icon.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
4 yrs isn’t a short period of time for an iPad. Would you keep your iPhone for 4 yrs? A 4 yr old iPad is going perform equally bad.

Today’s hardware can still last 4 yrs.

Anyway, ask them if they’ll give you an iPad 2017. If not, throw it away.

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
Did you have the same issues? I'm not sure how many cycles mine had. When plugged in it would show the charging screen with the battery icon.
Nah, it worked perfectly. Still got 8-9 hours out of a single charge after the 4 years.

4 yrs isn’t a short period of time for an iPad. Would you keep your iPhone for 4 yrs? A 4 yr old iPad is going perform equally bad.

Not true. My iPads battery was just fine and was used heavily for the 4 years I had it.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

This statement is absolutely false. iPads have way bigger battery than iPhones and after 4 years they do hold charge just fine.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010

'iPhones are rated for 500 charges, ipads like macs are rated for 1000 charges, an iPad battery should theoretically last twice as long as an iPhone. Due to the cost of replacement iPads I'd probably try to sell the iPad for parts or something similar to get something for it, then buy a 2017 9.7, maybe even look for a used one so the cost is even lower.

All batteries wear differently, my moms iPad Air is still running perfectly and has about 98% capacity with 350 cycles, while my pro has 88% with 200.

Last edited:

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Hi everyone!

I own an original iPad Air I bought for my wife sometime end 2013. Just this week, it stopped holding a charge. Basically couldn't be charged more than 1% and finally just kept showing the charging screen with the battery icon showing red bars (doesn't move no matter how long I kept it plugged in). Now it doesn't even turn on.

Solutions I've tried - I tried hard reset and even different charging cables. When I brought it to the nearest Apple Service centre, they couldn't figure it out either and said its a hardware issue and I should do a whole unit replacement (Costing MYR 1500 or USD$350). Obviously, I'm not keen to pay that amount especially when the unit is only less than 4 years old.

I've been in touch with Apple about this issue and they are trying to help.

Was wondering if any iPad Air owners out there facing similar issues? Ie battery doesn't hold a charge or doesn't charge up. Is this a common problem with iPad Air's from that year?
For the price you were quoted you would be able to get a new 2017 iPad which would be better then the Air you have.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I didn’t say an iPad from 2013 should be expected to stop working. I have older iPads. I meant, they would be really slow and there’s no reason to wait till long to upgrade. So even if it does fail after 4 yrs, you can’t say you didn’t get your money’s worth. That’s rare though.

SamC88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2017
'iPhones are rated for 500 charges, ipads like macs are rated for 1000 charges, an iPad battery should theoretically last twice as long as an iPhone. Due to the cost of replacement iPads I'd probably try to sell the iPad for parts or something similar to get something for it, then buy a 2017 9.7, maybe even look for a used one so the cost is even lower.

All batteries wear differently, my moms iPad Air is still running perfectly and has about 98% capacity with 350 cycles, while my pro has 88% with 200.

That's a good thought. I'm still bummed that my iPad didn't last as long as it could. My dad's original iPad is still working today albeit with slower performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.