Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alias99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Hello

I have an original iPhone that I thought i would try and get working again.

I plugged into my Mac and opened iTunes to do a restore.

But I got an "unknown error".

Does anyone have any advice or links where I could get some help to get this phone working again?

alias99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Just be aware that the original iPhone can no longer be used as a phone. It’s incompatible with current networks.

Thanks, I just want it to work again but not as a phone as I have a modern iPhone.

More of a novelty thing. Seems a waste to have an original that doesn't function

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Thanks, I just want it to work again but not as a phone as I have a modern iPhone.

More of a novelty thing. Seems a waste to have an original that doesn't function
I wouldn't let it bother you too much. I fired mine up at one point last year and the novelty lasts about two minutes.

Reactions: now i see it

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Just be aware that the original iPhone can no longer be used as a phone. It’s incompatible with current networks.

Guess what? Surprisingly I thought the same thing until I was instructed T-Mobil still runs the EDGE network. I guess they need it for various older GPS devices and such. Anyway, you CAN activate it with them yet don't expect T-Mobil to be supporting it much longer.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Every new iPhone made today will eventually meet the same fate as the iPhone 1 and the dodo- extinct

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Every new iPhone made today will eventually meet the same fate as the iPhone 1 and the dodo- extinct

But it might take a little longer. The iPhone 3G will still be compatible with networks for many years to come, so hypothetically you could probably use that phone for 20+ years if you change the battery a few times and don't care about modern features, speed, storage and apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.