Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I have a 1st gen 10GB iPod, and I think the hard drive is beginning to fail. It will freeze when syncing (Which brings down iTunes sometimes too) and often skips around or freezes in the middle of a song. I've heard that these have a hard drive firmware lock so only some drives are compatible. Is there a way to find a drive that will work in this thing?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Not really. Those miniature hard drives are difficult to find and expensive when you do find one. However, the folks at www.ifixit.com have a great way to replace the drive with a SD. I did it with mine. The procedure is real easy to do. Go there and read up on how to do it and then decide if you would like to try it.

bladerunner88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Off World
AL1630,
I also have an old 1st Gen that i got sentimental about and tried to start it up only to be met with the "Folder and Exclamation Point " Icon. in my travels i found this site:

http://www.ipodbatterydepot.com/shopping/productdetails.asp?recordid=1

The model numbers listed match the one on the back of my 1st Gen iPod, think am gunna go for it.....

Yikes you said Hard Drive Not Battery.....

Last edited:

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Let me know how it goes if you decide to go for it, mine may need a battery at some point.

togruber

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
Hi,
it is quite easy to find another HDD. Just bei a used iPod 3rd gen 10GB and take the drive. Often the battery is defective and they are quite cheap.
Ebay is a Good adress.
Regards

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
You can actually find the drives on eBay, though I'm not sure what the prices are like these days. You can also find old iPods at shopgoodwill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.