Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mini5apple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
Hi

I currently use the 2018 with the same version OS from factory think its Mojave or Catalina idk

Its running fine however I’m unable to backup my iPhone when connected via usb

If i upgrade can i reinstall and go back to Ventura or earlier version?

Is there any noticeable improvements upgrading i only really use this Mac mini to light video edit / stream obs & general search the web

Unsure the best solution to take

Thanks for the help

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Got mine in 2020 and Catalina was pre-loaded. They originally shipped with Mojave in 2018, but not the later models. Catalina has stopped receiving security updates but you may still be able to find compatible browsers. I have a 2014 Mini that's only used as an iTunes server, so I kept it on Mojave. Just recently Chrome has started to nag me that Mojave is no longer supported.

My 2018 Mini is running Monterey now, no problems. Some discussion of rolling all the way back to Mojave here. Apparently, the level of difficulty depends on whether your Mini originally shipped with Mojave.

Reactions: MBAir2010

mini5apple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
Got mine in 2020 and Catalina was pre-loaded. They originally shipped with Mojave in 2018, but not the later models. Catalina has stopped receiving security updates but you may still be able to find compatible browsers. I have a 2014 Mini that's only used as an iTunes server, so I kept it on Mojave. Just recently Chrome has started to nag me that Mojave is no longer supported.

My 2018 Mini is running Monterey now, no problems. Some discussion of rolling all the way back to Mojave here. Apparently, the level of difficulty depends on whether your Mini originally shipped with Mojave.

Hi just checked mines also 2020 and still on catalina

How can upgrade to monterey?

Its only offering catalina security update & sonoma upgrade which i’d rather not risk if it slows my 8gb beast down lol

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Hi just checked mines also 2020 and still on catalina

How can upgrade to monterey?

Its only offering catalina security update & sonoma upgrade which i’d rather not risk if it slows my 8gb beast down lol

Apple offers direct App Store download links of operating systems that didn't come on disc. Just give them a search. Monterey can be had via Apple's direct link. You'll just have to be signed in as yourself to download it. You'd then update like any other OS.

That being said, the 2020 Mac Mini would take the latest macOS (Sonoma) like a champ - my 2018 sure does. The days of new operating systems hindering older hardware are long gone, as Apple is very cautiously-selective about what software can run on what hardware.

(They know what's capable and what would give them a bad name and backlash if they let it go too far. Call me crazy, but I think they learned from keeping the 2012 MacBook Pro alive so long. / Flip side, they are going to drop Intel stuff faster than normal now, so I'd update it all the way just for that reason. You can always hit up Internet Recovery if things ever go totally sideways, which I don't think they will.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.