Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
So I started using the beta for Orion Browser on Mac, and it's changed everything. The lightweight functionality and Apple features of Webkit, but without Safari's issues, and unlike Safari IT HAS PLUGINS. Not to mention a compatibility mode for websites designed for Chrome.

But then I discovered it's also on the iOS App Store...and the plugins work on iOS as well...

Yeah...Safari's done. There's no reason to go back to it at all when Orion exists that is literally just Safari but better.

Nicky.tbhp

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2021
I am also using it for last 3 days exclusively. Experience is good. Pretty lightweight.
Running uBlock Origin (for adblocking) along with builtin adblocker.
Also installed on my iPhone 12 iOS16 and made it default browser. So far so good.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
I am also using it for last 3 days exclusively. Experience is good. Pretty lightweight.
Running uBlock Origin (for adblocking) along with builtin adblocker.
Also installed on my iPhone 12 iOS16 and made it default browser. So far so good.

You have no idea how good it feels to finally be able to use uBlock on an iPhone.

Nicky.tbhp

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2021
You have no idea how good it feels to finally be able to use uBlock on an iPhone.
Something is not right with my ublock origin on iPhone Orion browser. I tried installing firefox and chrome ublock extension but neither blocks ads. It doesn’t show settings. Not sure what is wrong?

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Something is not right with my ublock origin on iPhone Orion browser. I tried installing firefox and chrome ublock extension but neither blocks ads. It doesn’t show settings. Not sure what is wrong?

If it's not showing in settings then it didn't install correctly.

Nicky.tbhp

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2021
I just read on Orion’s feedback forum. uBlock is not supported on iOS currently. So I guess you are mistaken with MacOS.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
I just read on Orion’s feedback forum. uBlock is not supported on iOS currently. So I guess you are mistaken with MacOS.
?????

Bro uBlock is right there. All my Youtube ads are blocked now on my phone

A6D23B2F-B981-464B-AF46-CB87DB00C668.png
B5C2AD47-245C-474F-B2E4-ABAC6E7551BD.png

Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
YouTube ads are blocked for sure. And these same screens I can also see. But when I click on Ublock settings icon, it doesn’t show anything. If you open nxbrew.com, it doesn’t block pop ups. While orion with ublock on my Macbook blocks every ad superbly
I don't know what the hell you're doing on your iPhone then because mine are all blocked

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
@Spaceboi Scaphandre I gotta ask.. have you experienced any issues with getting directly to a comment in a thread via the notification area of MacRumors Forums? When clicking the bell - symbol on the front page of the forum next to your user image?

With the latest Orion RC and releases before that , I can't seem to get directly to any of the notifications presented to me.. Orion RC hangs for about a minute on loading a single notification

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
@Spaceboi Scaphandre I gotta ask.. have you experienced any issues with getting directly to a comment in a thread via the notification area of MacRumors Forums? When clicking the bell - symbol on the front page of the forum next to your user image?

With the latest Orion RC and releases before that , I can't seem to get directly to any of the notifications presented to me.. Orion RC hangs for about a minute on loading a single notification

Now that you mention it I have yesterday. I thought it was just MacRumors' host server taking a crap, but if you're having issues now then I don't know what's going on, as MacRumors is the only site having that issue suddenly

Try turning on compatibility mode for MacRumors on Orion and see if that changes anything.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Now that you mention it I have yesterday. I thought it was just MacRumors' host server taking a crap, but if you're having issues now then I don't know what's going on, as MacRumors is the only site having that issue suddenly

Try turning on compatibility mode for MacRumors on Orion and see if that changes anything.
The issue exists on Neowin as well for such notifications. It could be a forum backend issue, I'm not certain if the two sites happen to share a common forum software. They might, as the process is quite similar when getting a notification and clicking to it.

Compatibility Mode doesn't help unfortunately. I've been doing hand stands on my parakeet(RIP parakeet) to see if that helps. It didn't. Now I have one less parakeet instead. Thanks Orion.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
The issue exists on Neowin as well for such notifications. It could be a forum backend issue, I'm not certain if the two sites happen to share a common forum software. They might, as the process is quite similar when getting a notification and clicking to it.

Compatibility Mode doesn't help unfortunately. I've been doing hand stands on my parakeet(RIP parakeet) to see if that helps. It didn't. Now I have one less parakeet instead. Thanks Orion.

Have you contacted Kagi about it? This would be bug report worthy. https://orionfeedback.org/

it wasnt me

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2019
the internet, mostly
The one thing I wish Orion had was bidirectional iCloud Keychain integration. Then again, I already have KeePass(XC)... I'll only need to transfer my login information back.

Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
The one thing I wish Orion had was bidirectional iCloud Keychain integration. Then again, I already have KeePass(XC)... I'll only need to transfer my login information back.

It doesn't? Because my iCloud keychain worked. It should work since it's using Webkit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.