Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
Those of you who had to log out of your iCloud account on an older iPad in order to use Advanced Data Protection, what are you doing with those orphaned devices?

I have an iPad Mini 2 and I had to log out of my iCloud account to turn on Advanced Data Protection and I’ve found that without an Apple ID on the iPad, I can’t update apps on the device. I was able to connect it to my Mac and add audio files to the Music library but I’d also like to update the apps on the device.

i thought about creating a new Apple ID for it but I already have two Apple IDs already.

What’s everyone else doing who’s in this situation?

How many Apple IDs does everyone have?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Those of you who had to log out of your iCloud account on an older iPad in order to use Advanced Data Protection, what are you doing with those orphaned devices?

I have an iPad Mini 2 and I had to log out of my iCloud account to turn on Advanced Data Protection and I’ve found that without an Apple ID on the iPad, I can’t update apps on the device. I was able to connect it to my Mac and add audio files to the Music library but I’d also like to update the apps on the device.

i thought about creating a new Apple ID for it but I already have two Apple IDs already.

What’s everyone else doing who’s in this situation?

How many Apple IDs does everyone have?
I have 2 AppleID's and was planning placing my devices that can't qualify for ADP on one of them

Jarman74

Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
I am experiencing the same issue. It seems strange that by activating ADP you cannot update the apps installed on your orphaned devices and - by doing so - compromise their security, exactly what ADP is supposed to improve.

Whyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
Since both of my Apple IDs had ADP activated, I ended up creating a third Apple ID for my iPad mini 2. But after doing that I found that in order to update the apps already on the device, I had to delete the app and re-download it under the newly created Apple ID. That was fine for the free apps but one of the apps that needed updating is I think a paid app. If I delete that, I expect to have to pay for it again under the new Apple ID to be able to re-download it, unless maybe I add the new Apple ID to the family group my other two ID’s are in and turn on the share purchases option. For now, I‘m just not updating that one.

Reactions: Jarman74
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.