Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Seems logical!!! Who says we list all the features we want for 10.2 here and send it off to Apple's Website... I hope 10.1.2 ships soon (hope it will fix that annoying iTunes visualizations bug : When in fullscreen mode, move the mouse a lot and then click, on my machine with iTunes 2.0.2 (I tried the other versions) the mouse dissapeears!

All i'm really asking from Apple right know is an iPDA. That would be soooooooooooooooooooooo cool! THE RETURN OF THE NEWTON! "But not the eMate"!

And Pioneer should make DVD burners with 2 lenses... That would make burning speed faster (or have one lense verifying while the other writes!).

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I think the register is right! Its a shame because we all want an fully functional OS (not that its not usable now). However, the article is right, Apple cant keep giving free updates if it wants to make money + recoup costs of development! People wont want to pay more money for updates just yet!

10.2 should be a 64/32Bit version which will ideally be suited to the G5. As seen on http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/04.motorola.php the G5 sounds like it will delayed due to the Appolo G4 chip being released first in January!

This would all co-inside with a march release of the G5 + 10.2 (64Bit version) I think.

Could be wrong though

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
in a few updates

In a new updates Apple can start charging. But not yet. THe OS still has some issues and it needs more support from other venders. Why whould I want to pay for an update if I work in OS 9 most of the time? ... I personlay work in X as much as possible and have a ton of RAM so classic mode works geen enuph to do most tasks that i need it for.

dantec - if you want to send stuff to Apple about the OS, you should become a registered developer. They get to test and send back comments to Apple... i think

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Ok evildead... Are you willing to pay $500 for me? I would gladly appreciate it. I think Apple can start charging for updates when they add features. But for now OS 10 has enough features... Just needs optimizing and a couple bugfixes. Now that Office is on OS X a lot of my work can be done in OS 10 !!! WOOHOO!

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
oops RE: Dantec

I had a typo in my post. I ment "in a few updates" they can start charging. They cant start now or in the imediate future. Apple needs to add some more features and they need to get some more vender support before they can. I an not going to pay for an update untill I can use all my classic apps that I use native in X. There is no point.

Adobe Photoshop
Adobe InDesine
Macromeda Dreamweaver
Macromeda Flash
Bias Peak
Bias Deck
Reason
ProTools
Logic
TechTools (or make Dive 10 work like TechTools)
Drivers for my Scanner and software for it to control it
Unreal, you got to have Unreal :)

Then I will be happy. And then Apple can start thinking about charging me for Updates for OS X. I cant pay for updates for OS X untill I dont have to use 9 any more.

Dantec... I think we are on the same page here.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Re: Evildead

I agree with you totally. But my thinking was if we pester Apple now instead of last minute, they have time to test the new features, implement them and make them interact in a cool way!

Dante

P.S. Play Quake. At least I.d has shown its support for OS X.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
RE: dantec

Ok.. i see what you mean. Yeah.. I would like to give some new feateatures a test dirve to. As for Quake... I like it but Im more into Unreal. I heard a rumor that they are working on an OX X version of that too. Im not really much of a gammer. But I like to get some frags when I cant sleep at night. Or when I get sick of trying to get my dam programing assinments to work. Shooting people is more fun sometimes than debugging :)

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
I don't care what number they use...I just want them to live up to their promiss of seamless networking and full classic support. Something they are FAR from achieving.

No one I have met can network a NT server and OSX and still use classic aps. ...not using SMB as your login. (without the use of third party software...ie sharity or dave)

THis is a huge problem and the apple discussion boards are full of problems with no solutions.

Currently OSX is unusable for many campanies and institutions. If Apple charges us to fix there errors then they are going to hear more screams for laysuits. I have already heard of more than one call for a class action based on misleading advertizing.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Take it back...

I take it back. There will be a 10.2. If apple releases a new machine, they will need a new system to go with it. I do believe from 'sources' that there will be 10.2

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: Take it back...

With the new machines in January there will be a minor updates, not a major update. The major update will be a 64Bit version of OSX for the G5

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Will any of us G4 owners get a speed boost with a 64bit version of OS X? I heard somewhere that the G4 is capable of doing "SOME" tasks 64-bit while others it can only run at 32-bit.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Altivec

Processing those 64 (or even 128bit) chunks of data that you are referring to is what we call Altivec or Velocity Engine. They are series of built-in commands on the chip that allows programs who take advantage of the technology to process larges bit chunks of data. While the G4 can process 128 bit chunks sometimes, it is still a native 32 bit processor. The G5 is supposed to be a true 64 bit processor with 32 bit capabilities, and the Velocity Engine is up to 256 bit chunks of data. Sweet!!!

I really am thinking that there will be Apollo in MWSF. No G5 as of yet, but I really hope Apple proves me wrong. We need to take back the speed superiority that the G4's had when they first came out.

-pete

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
No. I think there will have to be 2 versions of OSX, 1 for the G5 + another for the G4's and G3's

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
10.1.1-->10.2

Anyone think (not that I want this or anything, at least in its current form) that Apple could ever go through a whole set of operating systems ie 10.1.1, 10.1.2, 10.1.3 etc. all the way to 10.2? I don't but it would be nice if they could do that, only with more frequency and a smaller size than the current updates; 21 MB for a double decimal upgrade is no small potatoes for those of us with 56k connections. What happened to the good old days of 1.5 meg updates?

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California

No way is there going to be two different versions of 10 for 32 or 64 bit... that would mean four versions because they already have two... (OS X and OS X Server 32 and 64 bit versions).. nah, that ain't gonna happen, and there's no compelling reason to. Apple wouldn't have the resources to dedicate to maintaining and updating four versions of OS X and Classic too.. In truth, a 64 bit operating system can acommodate 32 bit apps just fine. Apple isn't headquartered in Redmonds ya know.

I would predict realisticly though that 10.2 is the significant point at which 64bit capability is introduced for the new G5s.

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
Jaguar Pics

ThinkSecret and AppleInsider have two different articles with pics about OS10.2 codenamed Jaguar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.