Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarLerNut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2023
HELP! Has anyone dealt with this issue? I bought my fourth iPhone -- an 11-- a bit over a year ago; just long enough ago to be out of warranty. (Didn't need all the bells and whistles of a 14.) It seems that after installing OS 16 (though that may be a coincidence), the phone suddenly stopped holding a charge. Battery reads at 90% (so replacement won't help) but I need to plug phone in 3 or 4 times a day! Was absolutely fine before. It also gets super hot, even if not charging. Apple has said that's just how it is; older phones not optimal for newer OS. Am pissed I need to buy yet another new phone. Any ideas that will save me buying another phone right now?

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
First thing first, try load the iOS using ipsw file (it will delete all data). After that, use it for few days with *minimal or zero* apps installed. If issues remained, then it’s likely hardware issues (battery drop etc).

Reactions: FreakinEurekan

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I agree with @Isamilis with one caveat - if you've just installed iOS 16, deal with it for a few days & see if it settles down on its own. Indexing, etc. after an update can eat the battery pretty heavily but usually not for all that long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.