Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jean-F.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Quebec city, Quebec, Canada
Hi everyone, it looks like some people noticed a significant battery degradation since their installation of OS 9.3 or 9.3.1. The topic is sparse in many thread. I thought it would be good to address it in a distinct thread. So. Do you noticed a degradation in your battery life and if so what OS and piece of equipment it's run on ?
(Sorry for any grammar or mispelling anomalies, English is not my native language ).

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have posted this elsewhere. I have two identically configured iPhone 6 phones. One is running 8.4.1, the other is running 9.3 (.0). I installed 9.3 on the first day it was released. They are running within the same range that they ran before I updated one of them.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Big drop in battery life. Previously my phone could sit while I was working for 8 hours, untouched, and lose 2% to 3% battery. Now I leave work and I've lost apx 40%. The drop in battery life was immediate after installing 9.3. Tried resetting all settings and a full restore without any luck. Have not had the time to do a full wipe as a new phone. 9.3.1 did not fix the issue.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm curious what apps people who keep reporting battery issues have installed. my iPhone 6 is currently at 35% battery with 6 hours of usage and 9 hours of standby. I'm on 9.3.1

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Well, I mean, I don't want to try and list every single app I have. I don't have any of the well known battery killers though. No Facebook apps and I've heard Snapchat can kill battery but I've never once used or installed it. Apps I typically use in a day would be Mail, Siri, Antenna (Reddit app), and Weather Underground.

Regardless of those things though, I tried doing a hard restart of the phone first thing in the morning and not opening or doing anything with the phone, just driving to work and letting the phone sit for 8 hours....still lost about 40% through the day compared to my normal 2-3%.

This is on a 6s btw.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Compared to that, what do you call a "soft" restart?

Perhaps I was mistaken but I thought if you held the home and power button until the phone shut off, that was considered a "hard reset" and was a more thorough rebooting of the OS. You know how things you read on the internet can be though.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Perhaps I was mistaken but I thought if you held the home and power button until the phone shut off, that was considered a "hard reset" and was a more thorough rebooting of the OS. You know how things you read on the internet can be though.

I just wanted to state that there's nothing like a "soft" vs "hard" reset for most phones. Its just "reset". It's a hangover (and a wrong one) from the old PC days when people would distinguish between a PC doing a "soft" restart by pressing ctrl-alt-del vs a "hard" one by pressing the power button.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
So, I've reloaded my phone and restored profile. I've reset all settings, I've reset network settings, and here's what I got.

My SIM is not in my phone since I moved it to another to get me through the days. I restarted the iPhone, plugged it in to charge to full and unplugged it last night before I went to bed. I then let it sit all night and while I was at work today without ever touching it.

Still not fixed. Note almost 7 hours of "usage" while I never touched the phone...and it never picked up on any apps to even report any usage by them.

2016-04-01 14.32.36.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.