Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
SJ had said that new machines starting next year (the now current year) wouldn't be able to boot into OS 9... Quark then said otherwise.
I was curious- now that it's officially '03... does anybody know what the story about booting into OS9 is? Can a new machine still do it? or are we finally limited to Classic for it? Anyone?
Just curious- but thanks to anyone who knows.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
here in michigan there was quite a controversy between several school districts and apple regarding os9 support.

several school districts still have older mac equipment that simply will not run os x without both hard drive and ram upgrades. apple could not provide enough reasons for the schools to completely upgrade to os x (the negatives of switching to os x eventually outweighed the positives) so an ultimatum was given.

apple backed down and confirmed with my school district that os 9 will still boot on select mac systems until june. i have a feeling this will only include old g3 imacs, possibly emacs. it's not a victory for the school districts or apple, in fact it's only delaying the inevitable.

apple will force districts, and consumers, to use os x very, very soon and i have a feeling this will cause apple to lose even more of its market share in education. the school district i attend may in fact switch to all windows if apple drops support for os 9 anytime soon. it is rather unfortunate.

here's a break down of my district's current OS distribution... the graphic was published in my school's newspaper.

Attachments

• os_breakdown.jpg
    os_breakdown.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 232

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: OS 9 Bootable? Anyone know?

Originally posted by cyks
SJ had said that new machines starting next year (the now current year) wouldn't be able to boot into OS 9... Quark then said otherwise.
I was curious- now that it's officially '03... does anybody know what the story about booting into OS9 is? Can a new machine still do it? or are we finally limited to Classic for it? Anyone?
Just curious- but thanks to anyone who knows.

Right... _new_ machines as of 1/1/03 were announced NOT to be able to boot OS 9.

Since no NEW machines have been introduced... nothing yet has changed.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.