Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nathan King

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2016
Omaha, NE
Do most web developers test their code in both Mac and Windows operating systems? I'm curious how important this is for the various languages commonly used on the web (HTML, CSS, Java, JavaScript, React, Node, PHP etc.).

Thank you

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
Do most web developers test their code in both Mac and Windows operating systems? I'm curious how important this is for the various languages commonly used on the web (HTML, CSS, Java, JavaScript, React, Node, PHP etc.).

Thank you
yes, cross browser testing is usually an important part of developing, since you never know what browser the user is using. CSS is usually the culprit for most cross browser issues due to different rendering engines used by the different browsers. hope that answers your question.

ndnsoftware

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2018
UK
I would recommend at the very least testing code in the main common browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc). I personally tend to find if my code works on the Mac version of the browser, it tends to work on the Windows variation. Although I wouldn't take that as a given.

You can download free virtual machines from Microsoft to test specifically with IE.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

Which is always useful if you don't have a pc handy or want to test older versions of IE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.