Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

owen123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Cambridgeshire, UK
Hi,

So i'm currently in the process of putting an SSD into a Mid 2007 iMac, and i'm wondering which operating system to use.

Currently it has 10.6.8 on it, although given the specs and SSD it would theoretically run 10.10 fine, so what do you guys suggest. It doesn't need to have rosetta support. I have installers/discs for 10.6.8, 10.9, 10.10.

It's a Mid 2007, 24", 2.8GHz C2DE, 4GB RAM, and will have a SanDisk Plus 256GB SSD.

Thanks in advance

Owen

Cancelled
Jul 6, 2015
It is all up to you. For me, the most stable OS was Mountain Lion, but I loved SL, and now I love Yosemite. So I would try Mountain Lion, and then if that isn't the best, you could upgrade to Yosemite! :)

owen123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Cambridgeshire, UK
It is all up to you. For me, the most stable OS was Mountain Lion, but I loved SL, and now I love Yosemite. So I would try Mountain Lion, and then if that isn't the best, you could upgrade to Yosemite! :)
Thanks for your reply. I don't have an installer for ML though. Would there be much difference between Mavericks and Yosemite performance wise?

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Mind you, I haven't tried it on a machine that old, but I would NOT recommend going all the way to Yosemite. My 2009 and 2011 macs run best on Mavericks. Yosemite is a resource killer with numerous performance issues on older macs.

Reactions: 3349793

owen123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Cambridgeshire, UK
Mind you, I haven't tried it on a machine that old, but I would NOT recommend going all the way to Yosemite. My 2009 and 2011 macs run best on Mavericks. Yosemite is a resource killer with numerous performance issues on older macs.
okay, my initial thought was to go with 10.9, although a friend of mine runs 10.10 fine on a 2007 MBP so I wanted to see what others thought.

Cancelled
Jul 6, 2015
Thanks for your reply. I don't have an installer for ML though. Would there be much difference between Mavericks and Yosemite performance wise?

On my 2012 Macbook Pro (i5) Mountain Lion & Mavericks has ran like 5x better, than Yosemite. I was debating on downgrading, but I might be getting a new computer. :)

I totally agree with you. I don't think anyone should ever jump straight to the newest OS. Never a good idea lol

owen123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Cambridgeshire, UK
On my 2012 Macbook Pro (i5) Mountain Lion & Mavericks has ran like 5x better, than Yosemite. I was debating on downgrading, but I might be getting a new computer. :)

I totally agree with you. I don't think anyone should ever jump straight to the newest OS. Never a good idea lol

Based on everyone's comments, it seems like Mavericks would be the way to go, especially as it isn't my computer so i'm not really going to be able to downgrade the OS in the future. Thanks for all of your comments :).

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
okay, my initial thought was to go with 10.9, although a friend of mine runs 10.10 fine on a 2007 MBP so I wanted to see what others thought.
Skip Yosemite, go straight to the 10.11 public beta!

Might as well if this isn't your main Mac and you can put up with some minor bugs since it is still a beta. It does perform better than Yosemite on older hardware, perhaps even better than Mavericks.

owen123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Cambridgeshire, UK
Skip Yosemite, go straight to the 10.11 public beta!

Might as well if this isn't your main Mac and you can put up with some minor bugs since it is still a beta. It does perform better than Yosemite on older hardware, perhaps even better than Mavericks.
As I said before, it isn't my mac so i'm not going to put 10.11 on there, although i've got it installed on my personal macs. I may try 10.11 on there after the MAS release though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.