Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Purdue CS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2000
unless im mistaken this is what we are looking for in the near future,

- Mac OS 10.2 (jaguar) probably in macworld january ?

- Mac OS 9.2 update january ?

----------------------------------------------------------

but what then ? it must be hard for apple to worry about where to go after X, seeing as they are busy with the movement from OS 9 on to Mac OS X.

anyone have any clue on future mac os updates ? people have been hyping mac os X for so long but now its here. what then ?

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
MacOS 9.2.2

As Thinksecret reported MacOS 9.2.2. is already in a pre-release stage, so I'd rather think that we might even see OS 9.2.2 as soon as AppleExpo UK.

As for MacOS X 10.2, I am not sure if it'll be that soon released. OS 10.1 has just been released (ok October is not "just") and I suspect Apple to make OS 10.2 one of the major updates - perhaps even a commercial one.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami

I'm so happy with my 9.2 that every day I'm more and more far away from getting OSX.
I've been receiving the lates updates of OS 9.2 and is getting stable as never before. Sometimes little bugs like "the computer is getting slow after wake up" doesn't happen any more, or some control strips icon that doesn't work, etc. Now everything work, even with Aplications that uses the same PCI card running at same time, etc.

This is the golden age for 9.2 I feel.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Commercial Update

OS X is great, don't get me wrong, but I think we're very far from a state where it would be appropriate for Apple to charge for an upgrade.

There are too many bugs that still need to be fixed. In particular networking issues. Even the kernel is still a little buggy hence the occasional system freeze, although these are far less common than they used to be.

This article from The Register makes some interesting observations on the subject...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/22993.html

As for OS 9.2 - great if you're happy with it, but I think once you've got used to OS X you'll never want to go back. On the rare occasions when an app crashes in OS X and I just carry on working without restarting I remember how much I hated OS 7-9! Also, launching apps and browsing the Web whilst Classic is swiftly loading in the background is a liberating experience.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
OSX has a future, and it cant be better timing.
Apple needed a powerful OS to boost their digital hub.
OSX is a better OS, has a better future, OS9 is good if you want it for internet or word processing. But now we are entering the age of the digital hub we need a better/ more powerful OS.
OS9 really lags behing PCs especially in the gaming department, i think OSX will attract alot more developers to the mac platform.

As computers do more, they need a better OS.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Well OS 9 does have one advantage of X, and it's speed. When I boot in 9 and run programs that work in both OS's I am amazed that the speed gap is still there. OS X speed varies sometimes it's perfect sometimes it slow and choppy. If the speed were to remain the same that would be great. I love OS X and I use it as my main OS but 9 is faster along with the hourly crash from using it.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
What a hell are you talking about?

Originally posted by spikey
OS9 is good if you want it for internet or word processing. But now we are entering the age of the digital hub we need a better/ more powerful OS.
OS9 really lags behing PCs especially in the gaming department, i think OSX will attract alot more developers to the mac platform.

Man, what you just said is so... may god! how can you say OS9 si for word processing only?

Almost everything what you see (and hear) on tv and in print is made with Mac with OS 9 or 8. OSX is and incredible fast sistem for deliver bugs.
Microsoft just came with windows XP and OSX feel like a beta testing yet.

May be in the future.. of course we do not have where to go, but is because we do not have where to go, not because we wanted to go to OSX.

I'm going to forgive you this time because it sound like you had a bad night of sleep.

Purdue CS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2000
ok fine. say we get our 10.2 in MWSF. there. jaguar. but hte thing is all we hear is that apple is majorly concerned with getting X as fast as possible. (dont get me wrong. there is nothing wrong with that). but what about feature additions increases ? the speech synthesis and recognition engines are more or less the same as they have been since the first time i saw them - performa 4400 running os 7.6.1

ah. but here is a good time as any to bring this up. does anyone else have problems with getting speech recognition to work in mac os 10.1.1 and 10.1 for that mater. ?it seems that there are no speech commands in the window. check it out. and isnt chess supposed to be integrated with speehc (check the preferences). any help would be apreciated.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: how can you have 9.2

in silicon valley especially, software has an uncanny way of mysteriously getting downloaded onto techies' machines...but not mine

...i have a guilty complex so i get the software after everybody else does and buy it in the store because i see how how my softare techs work for thier money

hour for hour, they are not paid nealy as much as hardware techs who can make good money on the side, if they work for a company, too whereas software people can't come over to aunt bee's house and say, "would you like me to design a piece of software for you

looking at salaries, it was amazing to see how much more the hardware techs made than the software techs...starting salary-wise

the ee and els still bring in the big bucks even though the software guys have to learn all their stuff and have to keep up since it is always changing every five seconds

i tip my hats off to the mcsd's, in the pc side where i work, and their hard work at constantly having to relearn computer languages while the hardware guys/gals get most of the promotions because of their ususally more personalble and non-shy personalities (network admins, desktop support engineers, on-site techs, chip design engineers, and mba IS and telecommunications managers)

so therefore, i don't knowingly pirate any software and that is my way to say "thank you" to the hard work and unseen sacrifices of my software side brothers and sisters in IT

i can't think of any more manisfesto and geek right's propoganda for now...it is just that i am strying to catch spikey and do it with somewhat relavant posts that, i hope, will enlighten someone out there who has "theories" about what it is like to be a tech in or near that mythical place some call "silicon valley"

for those of you who are young and thinking of entering the field...it is the number two burnout field next to air traffic controllers but i believe that to be bullshize...IT people are the singe most unhappy group of people i have ever seen...nothing is glamorous about more than 40 hours, more than 60 hours, working late, working weekends, having non-techies treat you like dirt, broken marriages due to never being at home, the fast "leave you behind or else" pace, the greed monger mba's you might have to work for, the greedmongers who like easy money, the pretty girls who may really only be golddiggers, etc. etc. etc.

what a mess this field is...IT is hell on earth and i only do it because i am strange and i like it...i mean, i go to a party of techies and i am the only one talking IT, the rest of those poor buggers are talking about finding a new career but unfortunately, many of them do not possess personal skills good enough to give them another field to work in (that i could think of)

so if you are thinking about IT, ask a real vetran of five years or more and get the scoop on the poop...nothing in this world is glamorous when it comes to work and paying bills

geez, i sound like some old guy who is 40 or something!

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Another long one Jef

That one was particuarly long, Jef. Interesting observation on software guys - from my experience in London during the dotcom years it was guys with exerience in J2EE and EJB that could command the stratospheric salaries, and the hardware guys were always playing catch up. Maybe there's a distiction here between developers and support/admins.

On another point... OS 9 sucks. There, I said it. I used to love the Mac, but I was increasingly coming to the conclusion that I should move to NT. Then OS X came out and it renewed my faith in Apple.

A few years from now, people will look back on the old Mac OS with the amusment and nostagia that we now look back on the Commadore 64, with all its peeks & pokes.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
a bad night of sleep?
ive got the f**king flu, i cant sleep, breathe, work, and everything i try to eat just tastes of snot.

But word processing or the internet is just 2 examples.
the fact is classic has been good for the internet age, but for the digital hub age we need something new. something which is better, get more software developers looking at the mac platform.

Sorry, i phrased my post badly.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: dot com years

london is certainly different than silicon valley, for one london is much cooler...i miss it...lived there in '85 and discovered what good beer really is

you know who made a killing in the valley, cisco hardware guys and circuitboard designers, and not always of the cpu variety

poor programmers were playing catch up here, but i have to say, self employed web designers/developers were making up to 600 a day or more and every kid/young adult thought they could make an empire out of their northern california garage like steve/steve and hp...almost everybody really into it went out and hired web people to put up cool pages for high prices

i still stand by my principles and i won't pirate, out of respect for how programmers make their money...there are so many out of work programmers here it is so sad...the whole valley is in a state of shock as hundreds and thousands get laid off every month and it makes national news here in the states

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: flu

i thought you english guys and gals never get sick

don't worry about your post being bad like you say it is, only the jj twins will find something to scream about here

i concede the 400 barrier to you...i think at 395 you are almost there and if i put up more unrelated posts to try and catch up with you, the jj twins will come after me and that would be bad

and regarding my post differentiating between hardware and software guys...many hardware guys have to cross over into the software/programming realm that the lines are blurred

...many high end mcse's do programming and write device drivers though not too many that i know are good enough to be apps programmers/developers like the mcsd's and the self taught programmers who still are the best and brightest in IT...you know the valley had and has a lot of self taught guys like woz out there who can code like the devil but don't have steve jobs' salesmen types to make it all happen

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Silicon Valley is bad right now, one of my unemployed former dot com friends wound up driving his old commute the other day taking half the time it used to take. Said he couldn't believe how many cars weren't there at rush hour compared to even the summer.

Purdue CS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2000
this is truly crap.

i have posted this question on 30 different websites. with 40 differen titles. and no onehas responded.

why doesnt speech work on mac os 10.1 i know thisi s not an isolated problem...

thanks

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
Is it just me or has Apple lost interest in the whole speech thing? The new macs dont' have audio input and mics, the text to speech is basicly the same as my 1993 Quadra.
Has anyone seen what at&t labs has been up to? Check it out:
http://www.naturalvoices.com
How come our macs can't talk like that? How come I can't talk to my mac instead of typing on this qwerty designed to slow you down keypad? You're right Purdue CS this is crap! Point and click is so passe! Lets really think different.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Speach

As far as I can make out, speach works as well on OS X as it ever did - which is not very well at all, especially if you have a British accent.

I struggle to make myself understood whenever I go to the States, and have to endure comments of sounding like Hugh Grant, or people mistaking me for Irish or Australian, but the final humiliation is having to affect a Californian accent in order to make OS X understand my chess speach commands!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re:hugh grant

now how could that be a problem, i bet the girls throw themselves at you when you come to the states

when i went to london with my california accent, it didn't matter and no one noticed since there were thousands of yanks in the city, but when i went deep into the english countryside, the girls became too friendly, so much so i became suspicious and thought there was some sort of conspiracy going on

maybe there is a morsel of useful info here for Purdue CS...and if you are female, the accent thing works just as well on men, too...assuming if you are single and looking

hey look, it's macrumors and dating tips for techies!

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
For most of us speech recognition is just a nifty toy, but for some it could be the gateway to actually using a computer effectively. Spinal chord injuries, Parkinsons, even carpal tunnel syndrome sufferers could all benefit from a direct link to their computers that didn't require typing. IF it became useful enough, perhaps we would all benefit from integrating it with a wireless network into the house to do even more for us.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i don't know why this speech recognition thing is taking so long...i live in a retirement area with a lot of disabled and old people who could use this technology, which i first saw in '88-'89 when my then boss got it, then again in the mid-90s when i saw it in some pc magazine, then again last year in the stores (office depot, staples, circuit city, fry's) only to mostly disappear again

what is the story?

it's not a new idea, friggin look at star trek, the original series

i am a hardware tech (networking) and i don't know the details of these things very well on speech recognition, but i have never seen a technology get "launched" so many times as the "new" thing only to flop again and get pulled off of shelves...i worked at office depot in '99 and we were constantly rotating this stuff on and off and on and off and on and off...you get the idea!!!!!!!!

someone please enlighten me on this!

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
English never getting a cold?
We get colds, but we only mention it once and then shut up and get on with life.
Maybe its the fact we opress our feelings and arent dramatic enough, or maybe we are just not a bunch of whining little fag**ts.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
The thing about people who are only interested in hardware is that they just get really excited about nice specs.
They forget that without software the hardware is no good.

Its the same with the human body and sport, people say over 60% of sport is mental.
you cant perform without a good brain no matter how good your body is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.