Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProteoMX

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
Sounds like a good plan. I did something similar with my previous setup.

I know for sure you can resize partitions with Disk Utility, did it several times with HFS+ formatted drives, but I hadn't had the chance to do it with APFS. APFS drives should work just fine though, or even better since APFS supports containers which are supposed to be easier and safer to work with.

Obviously, do that after you've successfully migrated all your data to the new drive, or make sure you have a full backup, you don't want to take your chances with that.

Let us know how your new drive works!

Reactions: Instabile

Instabile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2019
Hello guys! Sorry if I answer only now, I didn't have time. I received my SSD Samsung T5, and I could install both MacOS Mojave and Linux on it. With the internal HD of 1 TB, I left 150GB with the first MacOS Mojave in order to have a backup in case something happens, and I left 850GB just for data. I chose APFS for this 850GB and for Mojave on external SSD. I'm really glad with the result, I'm inside the system in 15 seconds at the most (from the Apple Logo), and I can see the difference when I use the OS. I have no problem with APFS, the system doesn't show any delay at all. If you have any question I'm here :) I'm glad I didn't open the Mac, this external HD is so small and fast :D

jivexero

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2022
To answer my own question, comment two on that product says it does indeed solve the problem granting read / write speeds of 1100/1300. Not bad. Probably will be doing this solution.

jivexero

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2022
So just an update. I purchase that enclosure and the Western Digital 750 M.2 NVMe at 4TB and cloned my current HD to this drive. With it connected via Apples thunderbolt 2 adapter I am running my mac off of this enclosure at a solid read / write speeds of 876/743 MB/s .

The enclosure is powered so it works like a charm. I feel like I got my computer back. Pretty amazing results, for not having to even crack the Imac open. And it's a dual enclosure, so I can always swap the drive out and upgrade if I need to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.