Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

errant1007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Hong Kong
Hi, I'm new to play with the PowerPC and found problem to install the Leopard Server.
I got the Old PowerPC G5 (2005), 2.0GHz with 7G Ram and running with OS10.4. Tried to upgrade the OS to Leopard Server with Disc, usually put the DVD in Rom(it's readable) and holding "C" to startup, it's nothing show up on the screen even Hold "Alt Option" still not showing up the "Installation Disk" in boot option.
Then, I formatted the original hard disk containing OS 10.4 by accident, means that's nowhere to install anything to the PowerPC, I've tried many different method and no luck to get done.
Tried to install the "Linux Ubuntu" on this machine and it's work fine, problem is there are too many driver need setup manually and given up to play with this.
Now I pulled out the hard disk and connect with my Macbook pro(2013), tried to install the OS SERVER 10.5.1 by OSinstall.mpkg (Path: /Volumes/Mac OS X Server Install Disc/System/installation/Packages), I ran this file and installed to the PowerPC HardDisk but still cannot see anything on the startup disk even I put back to the PowerPC, well knows we need the disk format to "Apple partition Map" then install.
Is anything I missed?

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
If you downloaded leopard server from an unnamed source, I believe that version is unbootable.

What I would do however, is connect the drive to your MBP again and erase as APM, then split it into two partitions. A 10GB split and restore the LeoServer to that, then the rest to install the OS to. Once you restored it to the HD, toss it back into the G5 and boot off that LeoServer partition.

errant1007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Hong Kong
Yes, Gavin, I tried that too but the boot disk appear then it's just hanged forever, the boot drive named "EFI Boot" instead of OS X install.
Here is the folder that I installed "OSinstall" + "Essential.kg"
Screen cap.jpg

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Isn't EFI for intel only?

You'll have better luck getting the dmg/iso from MacintoshGarden.
Yeah, thats why we can't get Windows on our PowerPCs, different instructions and no BIOs emulation theoretically possible. OP might just have a Universal Leopard Server image, but idk really, he hasn't posted back.

tigerintank

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
OP is possibly distracted with celebrating Chinese New Year - understand it's taken quite seriously out there :D

errant1007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Hong Kong
I've downloaded the 10.5 version and the instruction advise it's able to install for PowerPC.
Also, I've got the OS9.0 but still no luck to show the disc bootup, making me crazy and I think install the ubuntu is final decision.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, I'm new to play with the PowerPC and found problem to install the Leopard Server.
I got the Old PowerPC G5 (2005), 2.0GHz with 7G Ram and running with OS10.4. Tried to upgrade the OS to Leopard Server with Disc, usually put the DVD in Rom(it's readable) and holding "C" to startup, it's nothing show up on the screen even Hold "Alt Option" still not showing up the "Installation Disk" in boot option.
Then, I formatted the original hard disk containing OS 10.4 by accident, means that's nowhere to install anything to the PowerPC, I've tried many different method and no luck to get done.
Tried to install the "Linux Ubuntu" on this machine and it's work fine, problem is there are too many driver need setup manually and given up to play with this.
Now I pulled out the hard disk and connect with my Macbook pro(2013), tried to install the OS SERVER 10.5.1 by OSinstall.mpkg (Path: /Volumes/Mac OS X Server Install Disc/System/installation/Packages), I ran this file and installed to the PowerPC HardDisk but still cannot see anything on the startup disk even I put back to the PowerPC, well knows we need the disk format to "Apple partition Map" then install.
Is anything I missed?

Probably u didnt burn the disk correctly. I wasted two dl discs until i realised that there was something corrupt with the OS x server installer image.

Sourced for another, used a firewire disk. It installed on a Xserve 1.0.

I have the same G5 2.0 which u mentioned, it surely can run the OS x which u mentioned. Mine is running 10.5.8, ( consumer version of leopard). I am sure it can run the server version.

errant1007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Hong Kong
Probably u didnt burn the disk correctly. I wasted two dl discs until i realised that there was something corrupt with the OS x server installer image.

Sourced for another, used a firewire disk. It installed on a Xserve 1.0.

I have the same G5 2.0 which u mentioned, it surely can run the OS x which u mentioned. Mine is running 10.5.8, ( consumer version of leopard). I am sure it can run the server version.
I've downloaded different source and Wasted many disk, still cannot get the correct one which able to boot my G5. Can help to get something and inbox me?

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Best is you go for an original Leopard-Installation DVD to get your G5 running again.
They can be used on both PPC and Intel machines and are currently not that expensive on eBay.
If you are really looking for the additional server-options (e.g. mail/addressbook/iCal/-iChat-server, Quicktime-Streaming etc.) then Leopard-Server is the right thing but prices are currently really high on eBay for original Installation DVDs.
You may also install Leopard-Server as a virtual machine on VMware Fusion giving you the options to run legacy apps on the latest OS X. (That's why I bought a copy of SL Server which currently comes at moderate pricing too but isn't compatible to old PPC)
Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.