Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

__Chris__

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2019
Just lucked into this bad boy, and it is a dream. I love this form factor. The keyboard is lovely and the white plastic shell feels so good to the touch.

I've got High Sierra on it now, and I'm not having any issues with it. Seems to run really, really well. But could this machine be better served by staying on an older version of the OS? Nevermind that I'm not really sure how I'd get an older version on here anyway... :)

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I run High Sierra on my 2010 that I use in my classroom, and it runs it like a champ. Granted, I do have an SSD and 16GB of RAM in it, which definitely helps. But for lighter tasks, the machine feels so much newer than its age would lead you to believe. Enjoy the new MacBook!

__Chris__

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2019
I did just order 8GB and an SSD from OWC; maybe I should have popped for 16. It’s good to know that High Sierra runs well for you.

I think after that I’ll go for the OSD slot converter bracket for the original HDD and try and find a new old stock bottom plate. The rubber is starting to come off its track, and I can only seem to make it worse.

Thanks for the reply! Just swung by here to look and it says you replied one minute ago. I’m not stalking, I swear! Lol

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I did just order 8GB and an SSD from OWC; maybe I should have popped for 16. It’s good to know that High Sierra runs well for you.

I think after that I’ll go for the OSD slot converter bracket for the original HDD and try and find a new old stock bottom plate. The rubber is starting to come off its track, and I can only seem to make it worse.

Thanks for the reply! Just swung by here to look and it says you replied one minute ago. I’m not stalking, I swear! Lol
Depending on your usage, 8GB will likely be good enough. I got 16 in mine because I keep a ton of stuff up at once on it, so it helps me to have more than 8GB. What all're you planning to do with the machine?

Also, feel free to hit me up anytime for tips on these things. I love these laptops, and love helping people use them to their fullest. Their absolute best years may be behind them, but they've still got plenty stretching out ahead!

__Chris__

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2019
Depending on your usage, 8GB will likely be good enough. I got 16 in mine because I keep a ton of stuff up at once on it, so it helps me to have more than 8GB. What all're you planning to do with the machine?

Also, feel free to hit me up anytime for tips on these things. I love these laptops, and love helping people use them to their fullest. Their absolute best years may be behind them, but they've still got plenty stretching out ahead!

I'll definitely check out that link, that seems really interesting.

Just planning to do general internet stuff. It's not going to be a workhorse. Web surfing, video watching, some writing in gdocs. Might do some emulation. If it ever does get used for work, it'll be connected to a VPN and a remote desktop, so it won't be doing much of the heavy lifting. :)

My original plan was to find a G4 iBook because I loved the look and feel of those things so much, but my experience with G4 iMacs in the modern day has been fairly frustrating in what they just can't pull off these days. Did some quick research and found some videos that sing the praises of the usability of these machines in the modern day. Found on one OfferUp for a hundred bucks, and after some wet wipes and canned air, the thing looks nearly new.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
High Sierra with 8 GB RAM and SSD is the sweet spot for that machine IMO.

RAID 0 is pointless, and actually kind of foolish IMO, due to the risk to data integrity.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
High Sierra with 8 GB RAM and SSD is the sweet spot for that machine IMO.

RAID 0 is pointless, and actually kind of foolish IMO, due to the risk to data integrity.

I use it because it nears doubles the R/W speeds and I don't worry about data loss. I have a robust backup solution and multiple Macs. I use my 2010 as a iTunes and photos dump machine for around the house and a Mac I can take out of the house I could care less if it got stolen or broken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.