Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lint2015

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
Like iOS 9 probably will support the same hardware as iOS 8, I think OS X 11 wil support the same hardware as OS X 10.10 supports (and thus 10.9 and 10.8, even 10.7 IIRC).

A good thing as older Macs keep support, newer apps will probably be able to run and the newest security features will be supported on those older Macs too.
OTOH, a bad thing is that more and more "new features" will only be supported on certain models. This could confuse users as to know which features their Mac support..?
I'd rather they have support for older Macs excluding features that the Macs lack the required hardware than to abandon support, unless the older Macs simply can't keep up.

Since El Capitan seems to have improved performance over Yosemite and there are no new features that require specific hardware this time round, there's no reason for them to drop anything that wasn't dropped in Yosemite.

EDIT: I suppose they could start dropping hardware that don't do OpenGL 4.1 and OpenCL 1.2 in the next two years though.

Last edited:

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Still using my 2007 first generation aluminium 24" iMac. Yosemite seems a bit slow and would certainly upgrade to El Capitan if there were any chance of speed improvements.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
This Metal seems to be the apple version of directx. If thats a decent anology, then the GPUs ability with OpenGL might not matter at all. I just hope that the gtx 680 mac edition is supported properly.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I have upgraded my 2008 iMac and it's working great under this version! I have 6GB of RAM. I'm glad it already work that well! woot!

Zarniwoop

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2009
West coast, Finland
Metal supported card families:
Nvidia – GeForce gtx 4xx and newer
Intel – HD4000 and newer (ivy bridge and newer)
AMD – HD7000 and newer

So this list goes hand in hand with current openGL 4.1 and openCL 1.2 support. (Except Radeon 6000M series... I don't know how reliable list that above is.. found from one Hackintosh website)

Here's the same list I mentioned earlier:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202823

Last edited:
Reactions: Populus

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Huh? Apple hasn't force obsolescence of anything. Machines that have become obsolete do so due to hardware or firmware not being able to run the newest technology from Apple.

really you need to take a long hard look at your negativity here.

Having been Apple user since Mac Os 7 I don't like the way Apple is currently "improving" OS X. Yosemite has caused more problems for me and my clients than any other OS X version since 10.7 and I am not impressed with pointless features taken from iOs. I would be ecstatic if Apple would take a long look into 10.6 and use it as a inspiration for the future of OS X. 10.11 seems promising and I hope Apple will use it to improve speed back to 10.9 standards while fixing as much bugs as possible. Even more promising would be return to "release OS X version only when its ready, however long it takes" principle. I was very optimistic when 10.6 was released but afterwards OS X has been in decline in usability and if 10.11 isn't clearly better I will consider switching to Linux which would been impossible thought 5 years ago....

Based on my own and my clients experiences with older Macs (2007-2009) it is clear that Apples minimum requirements for Yosemite very hopelessly optimistic, without SSD and at least 6 GB of RAM it is painfully slow on older Macs.

When it comes to forced obsolescence how else can be explained Apples decision to only support newest OS X version for their software? It is very annoying since I have third party software that is costly and time consuming to update. I no longer use Apple software other than OS X since I wish to update only when it serves my needs, not Apples!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.