Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Seeing that this is Macrumors, I'm pretty sure of what I'm going to hear, but I'd just like to hear from people who have used the developer previews of both. What do you think of Microsoft's adaption of a Mobile OS into their desktop OS as compared to Apple's?

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
I would say that Microsoft hopes to use one OS across multiple form factors, whereas Apple will retain two OS's with overlapping features used in similar ways on both platforms, unifying/streamlining the UX without combining two OSs. - both of which are interesting directions.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
I have both developer previews installed on my mac, whilst I think Windows 8 is great, I still think OS X is better.

Windows 8 on a desktop is just not nice to use, and for me (and no, I'm not a noob) its actually quite confusing. For instance I don't have a clue where to access my non metro apps, after using windows for year you just get so used clicking start and accessing everything there... Now it's all very inaccessible. I think this is going to be a huge problem for non-nerds I.e most people who use windows.
On the other hand I installed splashtop streamer on it and used it on my iPad and it was a much more pleasant experience, and I think windows 8 tablets will be even better as the OS is optimised for touch even more.

I much prefer the apple way of doing things, personally I don't want to run a full version of OS X on my iPad, it just wouldn't work as well (unless it was hugely optimised for touch)
I think keeping everything very closely integrated is a much better way forward.

Bottom line, I don't want my desktop to have a OS for tablets and I don't want my tablet to run a OS meant for desktops, I just want them to be synced without me having to do anything.

Sorry, Wasn't expecting to write much ;)

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Windows 8 runs pretty fast and has its plus sides, but in my opinion they've made it so touch friendly that it's almost no longer keyboard and mouse friendly. If you don't have a touchscreen computer things are much less fluent. The Metro start screen makes it feel like you're almost running two Operating Systems in one and to me it just feels messy.

The plus side is that it's an open beta so they are receiving plenty of feedback. I'd like to see what the new beta at the end of the month is like.

As for Mountain Lion I don't feel that it's a huge upgrade, but I like how they're putting more consistency in their apps.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I think both Mountain Lion and Windows 8 will be minor updates from Lion and Seven despite the newer UIs from Lion (Apple already did it) and Win8 with Metro interface.

Only in iOSX 10.9 Thundercat and Windows 9 Lango we'll see big improvements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.