Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pommephone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
For months now I've been getting emails from Parallels warning me that I needed to spend $49.99 for Parallels 11 prior to installing El Capitan because my version 9 would not support it, and that Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac is "our latest version, fully optimized and enhanced for OS X El Capitan." OK, so a couple weeks ago I bought and installed the P11 upgrade, but wanted to do a little more homework on El Capitan before installing.

Yesterday I downloaded the upgrade from the App Store (20-30 minutes) and installed El Capitan (20-30 minutes). No problems thus far, UNTIL I launched Bootcamp from Parallels 11. Multiple errors stating "The Boot Camp partition /dev/disk0s1 used by Hard Disk 1 is missing." I kept ending up in the Windows setup menu from which I couldn't shut down, and you can't change the virtual machine configuration unless it's shut down.

parallelserror.png

(BTW, none of these Parallels issues prevented me from booting directly into Bootcamp/Windows, just not through the Parallels VM. All was fine with the Bootcamp partition.)

I finally got the VM to stop, and I suppose I might have been able to reconfigure it to run properly, but instead chose to remove it and create a new VM using the Bootcamp partition. After doing so, Bootcamp/Windows is nor loading fine in Parallels Desktop 11.

So if you use Parallels with Bootcamp as the VM OS, I suggest reconfiguring it or creating a new VM before launching the VM in OS X El Capitan.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.