Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bent christian

Suspended
Nov 5, 2015
Dunno, for some reason I am able to repartition, resize and manage my disks with the new Disk Utikity just fine. There were certainly some shortcomings with the 10.11 version (window couldn't be resized etc), but weren't they fixed in sierra? What is it that you are still unable to do?

Reminder: You are in the El Capitan subform.

Many people are not planning to update for quite sometime. Some many never move to Sierra.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Reminder: You are in the El Capitan subform.

Many people are not planning to update for quite sometime. Some many never move to Sierra.

Ah, my bad, didn't notice that it was still restricted to 10.11. But if this is the case, then isn't this entire discussion a bit pointless? The software has been updated, why still discuss an outdated version (which in many regards is a clear beta version?)

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Ah, my bad, didn't notice that it was still restricted to 10.11. But if this is the case, then isn't this entire discussion a bit pointless? The software has been updated, why still discuss an outdated version (which in many regards is a clear beta version?)
Because many of us aren't updating any time soon.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Also some users will be unable to upgrade.

Is it still, in El Capitan, an app in which logged text can not be copied?

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Dunno, for some reason I am able to repartition, resize and manage my disks with the new Disk Utikity just fine. There were certainly some shortcomings with the 10.11 version (window couldn't be resized etc), but weren't they fixed in sierra? What is it that you are still unable to do?

While in theory I could upgrade to Sierra by installing newer firmware I'm not seeing any point doing so at the moment because Mavericks works well for my purposes.

I would like to know why Apple chose not to fix El Capitan Disk Utility given that its the last supported OS for many of the older Macs...?

As for what doesn't work in El Capitan Disk Utility it would be easier to list what works, the whole software is half-assed and I'm fairly certain whoever wrote it was drunk on the job... :mad:

Some examples: RAID support only in CLI, unreliable partitioning (Mavericks Disk Utility has no problems with the same drives), Text cannot be copied from the logs which is really big problem for troubleshooting and Disk Utility provides very little additional information compared to Mavericks version.

bent christian

Suspended
Nov 5, 2015
I would like to know why Apple chose not to fix El Capitan Disk Utility given that its the last supported OS for many of the older Macs...?

Apple wants to push more people to the new OS, by extension to iCloud. For those who own units that have been rendered obsolete: they want you all to buy new computer systems.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Apple wants to push more people to the new OS, by extension to iCloud. For those who own units that have been rendered obsolete: they want you all to buy new computer systems.

I also suspect that is the reason. Its unfortunate that Apple has such a short sighted view of doing business. :(

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009

Because Apple does not see it as broken. It seems like Apple no longer cares about the power users who helped make them and even save them.

As far as the cloud is concerned, I'll store my calendar and address book there and even my notes which includes recipes and movies to watch. All important, private and confidential information stays on the device, be it iPhone, iPad or computer. There is no way I'm going to trust Dropbox, iCloud or any other service with my passwords, especially my passwords to my financial accounts.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Text cannot be copied from the logs which is really big problem for troubleshooting and Disk Utility provides very little additional information compared to Mavericks version.

Better late then never...
I have no problem copying text from the Console logs, it's not very intuitive but marking a block of text by clicking on the first line of interest and then shift clicking on the last line will select the block, then using the copy command from the edit menu or just plain cmd+C will copy it.
It's also possible to just drag the marked block to a new text editor window.

DF-MadBadger

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2021
So it's 2021 and Disk Utility still fails at formatting 1 in 2 disks. What was that about a beta release that came WITH the OS? Almost like it sucks for reasons other than it being a beta.
Ps. If you don't like necroposting then go smash your router, then you won't get the notifications, history is such a drag sometimes isn't it?

• Haha
Reactions: panzer06
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.