Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Not just contextuals

OS X (without the company specific drivers) automatically sets 2 button USB mice and trackballs to R/L click.............so games like Diablo get much easier.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Arn recently informed me that if you're in the terminal and type:

"open ."

(minus quotes) whatever directory you are in will open in the finder. Useful especially when you're in a hidden directory.

blakespot

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
PIN

Does anyone know how to get the PIN function back? There was a hack for it awhile back, but when i went to do it again after installing a fresh OSX 10.1 it was gone.

PIN let you slide the dock to the left or right of the bottom of the screen, so that it was not centered.

Anyone?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Eunuchs

For those code heads out there: how about a script to "quit" Aqua. OS X Command Line only--call it iEunuch. :eek: :D Just like OS X but without the sex!

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Unix is Powerful

Unix has some incredibly powerful tools available that make OS X a real joy. Of course it helps if you understand unix to begin with and it takes some real twiddling to make things work sometimes. I am currently struggling with getting ssh to work for http forwarding - pop & smtp work perfectly. This is one example of the power, ssh is built-in and works MUCH faster and more reliably than any OS9 application I have previously used.

All that said, I much prefer to live in aqua :D

tw9876z

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2002
i really think mac should release a 2 button mouse to do the same thing as a windows does, would make alot of people switch to mac. Also the apple mouse ahs to be more comfrotable, the pro mouse is a large improvment from those awful round mouses that are just bad to use, but still it needs to fit the hand better.

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
I had a friend come over and saw that I had OSX, I showed him around it for a bit and when he found the Terminal. He is a Unix/linux guy, he decided to show me some things.....actually he scared the carp out of me as he started to change all kinds of settings from within the unix level. I was at a complete loss what he was doing. I had to kick him off. (I don't like people messing with my machine that is working well!!)

That little 'demo' really showed me the potential of OSX.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Change Looks

I clearly remember a linux user messing around with OS X, and he changed the looks of the whole OS, making it look like the OS used in the computers in the high-tech movies like "Mission Impossible" or "The Internet"... you know, so stupidly simple but looks high-tech at the same time??????? Come on, you should know....

Well, he did that all via the Terminal, so if any Unix/Linux user knows how to do that.... tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

irmongoose

Matthé

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2001
watered down aqua

i think there are a lot of people out there who would like to get rid of all those transluscent striped pull down menu's, shadows and overall 'plastique' glossy look of aqua

I know i do

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Unix is certainly an amazing OS. I know my animation professor at school has all of our quicksilvers, SGI boxes, and IBM Workstations communicating beautifully via a G4/OSX server. The Unix is fully compatible with all of the Unix-only SGI's, and we can multi render in Maya with all three systems. The only difference he noted was that Apple's 'version' of Unix is slightly different than BeOs, and some of the others, but overall its 'good' Unix, as he calls it.

But yes--it IS scary what they can do when they sit down to the terminal. I swear smoke comes off of his fingers when he types through the code. I know Unix strictly on a user level, and dont consider myself a power user--but when placed in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, OSX is dangerous. (in a good way)

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
OSX is by far the most customisable website, I advise using the terminal to make the Shaddows disappear when you resize, it REALLY speeds up the resizing of windows!

Mad Ink

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2002
Somewhere
Pin command in OSX.1

I don't know the unix command, but at versiontracker.com look for a small app named tinkertool 2.02 it will give you the option to pin the dock to the left, center, or right side of the screen. Like I use it to pin the dock along the bottom of the screen but at the right corner so my trash stays where it used to be...

Hope that helps

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
if you want to curb that addiction become a "techie" (computer analyst, engineer, network administrator, etc) and have secretaries play turf war with you over their desktop making you do "unpaid" overtime so you don't see your spouse or your kids until 10 pm

only air traffic controllers burn out faster in america

GPTurismo

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Montgomery, AL USA
Another quick way to get into hidden directories (if you don't have them viewable via tinkertool) is to hit command + tilda. It opens a prompt and you can type in the path and it opens the directory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.