Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
(BTW, I'm writing this on my brand-spankin'-new-just-delivered iMac - it kick ass!)

I hope there's a simple answer to this question! I've been playing around customizing my desktop, icons, etc. I changed the icon on my harddrive icon, and it worked perfectly. Then I tried to change it to something else, and now there is no icon. I've tried pasting about 10 different icons from different sets into it, but nothing works. What happened? Any way to fix it?

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
once you've changed it to the icon of your choice, log out, and then log in again. I have the same problem. I think relaunching your desktop does the trick too.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
uh-oh

now i've really screwed up. instead of being patient and waiting for a reply, i went ahead and tried to restart the system using "restart" from the apple menu. it's been giving me the spinning beachball on a blank blue screen from about 15 minutes now, and alternately the screen goes black for a few minutes. what should i do?!

(yes, i am a clueless newbie :))

mdudek

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2002
force restart

press command(the apple key)-option-power, and you will do a force restart.

that should do the trick.

Matt

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Ouch. I think you did a little more than change a few icons.

Please post EXACTLY what you did and we'll help you figure it out. If you have not really added anything yet we can walk you through re-installing. Stay calm, that's the single most important thing. If it starts going all funk STOP and back off.

mdudek

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2002
dont get freaked out by mischief..

i was playin with the same stuff you were messin with before too, and it was no big deal, but it might seem like it. OSX is crazy stable, ive been running it since 10.1 came out and ive only had one problem with it, but that was because of a beta program that was acting up. so dont worry about it, restarting it should do the trick.

matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.