Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tuned MP5T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
New York City
Is there anyway I can just get the OS and not the applications? I just want to add what I'll be using. For example iTunes, Safari, iPhoto and I'll add MS Office.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
When you get the mini you'll get the OS X installation CDs/DVDs (not sure which) included, and you'll just have to format and reinstall OS X. When you install, click "options" and uncheck whatever you don't want. I do that all the time.

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2004
Tuned MP5T said:
Is there anyway I can just get the OS and not the applications? I just want to add what I'll be using. For example iTunes, Safari, iPhoto and I'll add MS Office.

iTunes and iPhoto are part of the iLife package, which is included (along with iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand). iLife is included with every Mac, it's not optional. Even if iLife was optional, you'd still want it because of iTunes and iPhoto.

MS Office is not included but you can get that seperately, but you probably know that.

Tuned MP5T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
New York City
MacNeXT said:
iTunes and iPhoto are part of the iLife package, which is included (along with iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand). iLife is included with every Mac, it's not optional. Even if iLife was optional, you'd still want it because of iTunes and iPhoto.

MS Office is not included but you can get that seperately, but you probably know that.
So can I do what Raven VII said with iLife?

Benj

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2004
London
Tuned MP5T said:
So can I do what Raven VII said with iLife?

If you really want to remove the programmes you can just drag the iLife apps you don't want to the trash from the Finder. Not entirely sure why you would want to bother unless you had run out of hard drive space.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Tuned MP5T said:
But I'll never use iMoive, iDVD, GarageBand. So I want to use that space for music, my office files.
Your hard disk space will be more than ample. If you delete those apps, you will barely notice the extra space.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
If you don't want them then you don't want them. Just drag them to the trash to delete them.

Others are just concerned because they do take up minimal space and are kind of a pain to reinstall if you do decide you want them.

But only you know what you are going to use so just decide on that, not sure what the big deal is? :confused:

For reference:

iMovie: 50.6 mb
iDVD: 1.09 gb
iTunes: 29.8 mb
iPhoto: 86.5 mb
Garageband: 55 mb

The only one you should be concerned about is iDVD and if you are not burning DVDs the app wont even be on your computer.

Tuned MP5T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
New York City
I thought Mac's were different then PC's. If I want programs that I'll never use I would buy another PC. I thought Mac's were built to the user's needs. Still don't understand why they include a trial version of MS Office.

I think PC's and Mac's should just come with the OS and programs should be on CD's. Then if you want it you can install them yourself.

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
That's true, you can just drag which apps you dont need into the trash. It wont affect how other programs run, unlike the DLL mess that is Windows.

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2004
Tuned MP5T said:
I thought Mac's were different then PC's. If I want programs that I'll never use I would buy another PC. I thought Mac's were built to the user's needs. Still don't understand why they include a trial version of MS Office.

I think PC's and Mac's should just come with the OS and programs should be on CD's. Then if you want it you can install them yourself.

It's really not a big deal! I understand that if you're coming from Windows, you might consider uninstalling an application to be a hassle, but it's different in Mac OS X. Just drag the application folder to the trash and you're done!

If you really want a minimal configuration, you can reinstall Mac OS X, then you can choose whatever you want or not (iLife apps, other apps, language packages etc. etc.).

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Tuned MP5T said:
Thats one reason I'm leaving windows. No matter if you uninstall the program, its still there in windows.
Yep - it took me a little while to fully understand the difference (I've had a Mac for 9 mths now). As the others said, just trash the application folder. That's it. No registry. No nasties lurking (although it's obviously up to you to trash your data).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
FYI:

For GarageBand, most stuff is stored in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand, not in the GarageBand app itself. You might want to burn the folders contained therein to CD/DVD in case you ever want to use GB. Reinstalling is a hassle.

For iDVD, you can delete individual themes by right (or control) clicking on Applications/iDVD and selecting "Show Package Contents". In the folder that pops up, go to Contents->Resources and delete themes you won't use. There's no reason to kill all of iDVD to save space when you can dramatically reduce the size of it by removing unwanted themes.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Also, although there is no god-awful registry like in Windows, apps do quite often have preferences and resources in other areas/folders, and deleting the app won't delete those files.

However, unlike Windows, deleting the app will render those other files nothing more than a waste of space - zero impact on the system otherwise.

Also, no matter how many apps you have, it doesn't affect system performance, again because there's no registry (which bogs down as it fills up).

Unless you are truly low on disk space, it's completely unwarranted to remove any of the apps that come with your system. And, back when I got my last iMac, Office came on a CD; it wasn't pre-installed.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Tuned MP5T said:
The whole point to getting a Mac for many people is that they do not need to install anything - all they need is already there.

In a world where a 40GB drive is considered small, why would you want to waste time dealing with app installation/deletion? There's more than enough room.

Tuned MP5T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
New York City
jsw said:
The whole point to getting a Mac for many people is that they do not need to install anything - all they need is already there.

In a world where a 40GB drive is considered small, why would you want to waste time dealing with app installation/deletion? There's more than enough room.
It's just me, if I'm not going to use something then it shouldn't be there. Yeah most Virgo's are very picky.

When I get the Mac Mini, I'll re-install the OS and choose what apps I want from iLife. Would I need iDVD to watch a DVD?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Tuned MP5T said:
When I get the Mac Mini, I'll re-install the OS and choose what apps I want from iLife. Would I need iDVD to watch a DVD?

Nope. DVD Player is for watching DVDs, iDVD is for burning them. But I'm in the crowd that says leave 'em on there. My 3 year old iMac G4 with a 60GB hard drive still has over 40GB of free space. And I bet I could find some crap to get rid of, too.

My opinion: Keep them on there and if you really NEED to, then trash them. Its a pain to reinstall them, so it is easier to actually leave them on and then delete when/if needed. 40GB goes a long ways...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Tuned MP5T said:
It's just me, if I'm not going to use something then it shouldn't be there. Yeah most Virgo's are very picky.

Hey, it's your Mac.

I just have no idea why you don't just install Linux or Darwin on a $200 PC. Most of the fun of owning a Mac is due to the software it comes with - which is also why they cost more.

While you're at it, you might as well delete most of the applications that come with OS X (Graphing Calculator, Sherlock, Stickies, etc.). If you try hard enough, you can easily get the disk usage down to <2GB. Then you'll have spent a few hours eliminating $200 worth of software to save 5 GB of disk space.

But, again, it's your Mac.

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Why can't anyone just answer the question instead of going off on the poor guy as to why he shouldnt do it? I mean 1GB for iDVD is like several albums of MP3s. I mean to each their own.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Dr. Dastardly said:

For reference:

iMovie: 50.6 mb
iDVD: 1.09 gb
iTunes: 29.8 mb
iPhoto: 86.5 mb
Garageband: 55 mb

The numbers for iDVD and GarageBand are low. You need to get all the library files for both of them... you're talking at least 4 gigs between the two of them. And 4 gigs can be noticable on a 40 or 80 GB disk. From Apple's website: "<i>4.3GB of disk space required to install GarageBand, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD; or 250MB to install iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie only</i> - so it is definatly a bit over 4 gigs for iDVD and GarageBand.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Tuned MP5T said:
You can either delete the Applications you don't want. Or you can do a clean install and select the options/software you want. I suggest you play with the machine for a little bit before doing the reinstall - if you go that route.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Bear said:
You can either delete the Applications you don't want. Or you can do a clean install and select the options/software you want. I suggest you play with the machine for a little bit before doing the reinstall - if you go that route.

best advice i have seen so far in this thread

i would check out the machine at least before you do a clean install, decide what you want and dont, and then do a clean install and if there are any other programs you dont want delete them after the install

whatever floats your boat

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
You probably allready got all the answers you asked for, and then some, but I'll chime in nevertheless.

By all means do a clean install with just the applications you'd like if you want too. Consider this however: You don't see any use for Garageband, iDVD etc. at the moment. However, let's consider the possibility that you use iPhoto to organise your pictures etc. Maybe som friends/relatives would like to have copies, better yet, maybe they'd like to have a neatly produced DVD with a slideshow as well as the original image-files included. Now if you remove iDVD you will have to reinstall it...

My point is simpy that while you can see no use for these applications at the moment there may come a time where they come in handy...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.