Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecharliebot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Bromsgrove,Worcs,England
Hello,

This will probably sound odd but here it goes. Will I be able to install os x leopard on my iBook G4, processor 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 and memory 1 GB DDR SDRAM. It is running os x 10.4.11 at the moment will I be able to upgrade?

Thank you thecharliebot

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes, Snow Leopard (10.6) dropped support for PPC Macs. 10.5 (Leopard) is the last version that PPC Macs can use. Is there a feature that you're looking in Leopard? I think Tiger will run faster on your G4 then Leopard will

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Leopard is fully supported on your iBook. If you're going to upgrade, it'd be a good idea to max out your RAM to 1.5 GB. Also, remember that Leopard needs more hard disc space.

In my experience, the only Macs that actually run better with Tiger are those that are significantly below Apple's recommended specs for Leopard.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
My wife used an iBook G4, 1.42 ghz, 1,25 gb ram and Leopard ran fine. She used this for a couple of years before I bought her an MBP so she could run current software.

wfuentes

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
Ibook G4 os x 10.5 upgrade

HI there. I am trying to upgrade my ibook g4 1.42 ghz 256mb to 10.5. I currently have 10.4.11. I have the install dvd but when it asked to restart i do but it doesn't boot the installation dvd. Help!

arteggio

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
HI there. I am trying to upgrade my ibook g4 1.42 ghz 256mb to 10.5. I currently have 10.4.11. I have the install dvd but when it asked to restart i do but it doesn't boot the installation dvd. Help!

Might've just been a one-off thing. You could try again, but if it doesn't work again you can just hold the option key right after the bootup gong, and that will take you to a screen of bootable disks.

I can't remember the last time I installed an OS without it rebooting to the installer by itself, but I'm pretty sure you should be able to access the installer from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.