Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterNem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I have a fresh install of OS X Leopard Server on a G4 Quicksilver Powermac which I picked up cheap off ebay with the intention of putting out the way in a cupboard and hooking up all my noisy external drives to it to get them off my desk.

One of the things I had planned on doing was using it as the Time Machine backup destination for all the macs on the network, but I am having problems. I have it set up I think correctly but it just doesn't want to work.

Leopard server is set up in "standard mode" and is using time machine itself to backup to an external firewire drive.

I've checked the box to allow other computers to backup to time machine.

I've created a user "Peter" and checked the box in the services tab to allow the user to use Time Machine services.

I have not manually shared any directories or mounted any shared volumes on the client machines, but am under the impression I shouldnt have to - the clients see the "PowerMac" machine as a time machine destination without.

When I go to time machine preferences on my iMac it detects that the PowerMac is offering a time machine service and shows it in the list. I slide the switch from off to on, and click the choose drive button and select "PowerMac". I enter the credentials for the "Peter" account and click okay. I get no error messages, but it doesnt actually select the drive, and the button still says "Chose drive" even though I just did. If I close the pref pane it will after a few minutes pop up a dialogue box saying Time Machine doesn't have a drive configured.

I don't quite understand why this isn't working. I know the "Peter" account is set up correctly as I can use it to do other things (mount shared volumes etc).

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.