Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shneepster1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2023
MacBook Pro OS X Mavericks.
We have an older MacBook Pro and it was in great condition. I was trying to wipe the memory and get it back to the Mavericks system. I used the disk utility. Now when I try to open it, I see the 1 tb drive, and under disk 1 it shows OS X base system, but I can't seem to get it to open or boot up? Does anyone have a fix for this? I've tried doing internet recovery. Also, when I tried the reinstall, it did verify it, then takes me to sign into iTunes, but won't then says connection failed. Maybe this is because there is no app on iTunes or ap store anymore?
1701788162698.jpeg

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The picture you posted shows the CD-ROM drive. That has nothing to do with your ability to install Mavericks. After you are booted to internet recovery, you want to choose the Install OS X option.

shneepster1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2023
Thanks, I have tried this, and I get the agreement page, and answer yes, it then asks for my iTunes or Apple ID, and I put that in, and then it says failure to connect. My assumption, is that the software for downloading the OS X Mavericks in no longer supported? I do have an internet connection, and it is the correct ID, in fact I have also tried my wife's, and same thing? The picture above shows the disk utility. It shows the 1 TB file and below that is the OS Base system. I don't have a CD or DVD in the computer.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Depending upon the key combination, you get different versions of internet recovery.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
shneepster1
perhaps  does not support mavericks anymore as they nixed Mountain Lion and iCloud recently.
Im updating to ElCapitan and everything with iCloud seems fine but im not finished now.

hoped this helped!

Reactions: shneepster1

shneepster1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2023
shneepster1
perhaps  does not support mavericks anymore as they nixed Mountain Lion and iCloud recently.
Im updating to ElCapitan and everything with iCloud seems fine but im not finished now.

hoped this helped!
When I open and it brings me to disk utility, it only gives me the option of OS X Mavericks and then I go down that rabbit hole. Can you explain how to do ElCapitan? Thanks for you help.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
First, can use the macbook pro at all?
if yes, run first aid, (disk utilities program)
then check to see what start up disk is selected. (Start up disk, in system preferences)
if that has a pic of a hard drive highlighted and ”eliz” that is great!
unplug the superdrive, then restart.

if icloud wants you to log in then the loop happens, the osx is not supported by Mevericks.
as mountain lion did the same to me recenlty
i just installed el capitan on my macbook air 2010 an hour ago via image disk.
i can walk you through this or: :apple:elcap

shneepster1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2023
First, can use the macbook pro at all?
if yes, run first aid, (disk utilities program)
then check to see what start up disk is selected. (Start up disk, in system preferences)
if that has a pic of a hard drive highlighted and ”eliz” that is great!
unplug the superdrive, then restart.

if icloud wants you to log in then the loop happens, the osx is not supported by Mevericks.
as mountain lion did the same to me recenlty
i just installed el capitan on my macbook air 2010 an hour ago via image disk.
i can walk you through this or: :apple:elcap
I may need to do this. I thought I found a nice You tube clip that took me through downloading the of OS X Mavericks from an archive site. It took 2 hours for it to actually download, but alas, it did not work after all that. Any help you can give would be great. I have a new MacBook Pro that I can use to download onto external drives.
Note, when I go to start up disks in the disk utility program it shows a box and no drives.
The disk utility shows my 1 TB drive that I renamed Eliz.
The ox base system when I click verify. It says it is good.
Not sure what I am missing here, but unable to get the system to reboot.
Of course I can't reinstall the OS X Mac because it keeps taking me to the App Store and id won't work.

1701808727411.jpeg

shneepster1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2023
I may need to do this. I thought I found a nice You tube clip that took me through downloading the of OS X Mavericks from an archive site. It took 2 hours for it to actually download, but alas, it did not work after all that. Any help you can give would be great. I have a new MacBook Pro that I can use to download onto external drives.
Note, when I go to start up disks in the disk utility program it shows a box and no drives.
The disk utility shows my 1 TB drive that I renamed Eliz.
The ox base system when I click verify. It says it is good.
Not sure what I am missing here, but unable to get the system to reboot.
Of course I can't reinstall the OS X Mac because it keeps taking me to the App Store and id won't work.

View attachment 2321369
Oh, also, I don't have any DVD or CD in the super drive. So it is not active.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
your next step is to get elcapitan.
use that link to download the file
ofcourse use time machine to back up the files you have with mavericks, if you need those.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
In Disk Utility, can you select the "1 TB ST..." option at the top of the side bar, go to partition, and create a new partition layout?

shneepster1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2023
I have had some success, but have a couple other questions. I downloaded Disc Creator and used it to make a bootable drive and was able to get it uploaded to my 2009 matchbook pro. It boots up nicely, but I have a total of 3 partitions on my 1 TB drive. Now that I know how to get the program on the computer, is there a way, I can take my 1TB drive down to it's original state, and then add the El Capitan on to it. As it is, when I am in the El Cap, it won't let me go to disk utility. I also plugged Time Machine into it, and the El Cap partition doesn't show up.When I go back to the 1st partition, the one without El Cap, I can't seem to get rid of any that I created that has a startup program? So I guess my question, is how can I clean up my hard drive and start over?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.