Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Uh, a 2017 MBA is not going to boot Mavericks at all.
A 2017 Air is nothing more than a relabeled 2015. There was a minor speed bump on the i5 models but there is no change between 2015 and 2017 in the i7 models.
Regardless of that, I don't see the value of trying to get Mavericks to run on either model.

Reactions: wagui

wagui

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
Tlalpan, Ciudad de México
Why not? The only difference specified by apple is the update of the processor speed from 1.6 to 1.8 and also if you try installing Mavericks it asks for a mouse and keyboard so it boots correctly with the tutorial except for the keyboard and trackpad

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Okay, well if it works with the instructions I wrote on Ask Different that’s fantastic!

No graphics acceleration though, I assume?

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Where can I download the custom kernel?
I'm really sorry I'm six months late, I didn't see this until today! In the future, please @ me!

Since the original upload at InsanelyMac seems to have been taken down, I've attached it to this post.

Attachments

• 10.9.5 Pentium : Celeron : ATOM Kernel.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 159

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
Wait a sec.
Do I get it right? I have a MBA 2017 with HS installed.
Are you guys telling me I can install Mavericks on it and it'll work as it should?
If it is possible could you please provide me with a link where I can read all the details.
And in the end, is it worth it once graphic acceleration, trackpad and keyboard wouldn't work properly?

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Are you guys telling me I can install Mavericks on it and it'll work as it should?
If what chrfr is true, and the 2015 and 2017 MBA use the same (or very, very nearly the same) logic board, then yes, it'll technically work. However, you won't have graphics acceleration, and you'll need to use a USB mouse and keyboard. The latter problem may be fixable, but no one has done it. I'm not sure I'd call that working "as it should." :)

If it is possible could you please provide me with a link where I can read all the details.

And in the end, is it worth it once graphic acceleration, trackpad and keyboard wouldn't work properly?
I don't think it is, sorry. You can't really use it as a laptop since you have to plug in an external keyboard and mouse, and macOS really sucks without graphics acceleration.

It might be fun to play around with for a bit, but that's all.

If you're crazy like me, you could have DoubleDex swap out the logic board for you, like they did for me. There's basically no performance difference between the 2014 and 2015 MBA (which again according to chrfr is the same as a 2017 MBA), and Mavericks runs perfectly. No regrets on my end. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: R2FX and otetzone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.