Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SVG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
Hello, we recently connected an iMac onto the corporate network, however, the network admins dislike the Mac for its "active searches" for servers and they want this behavior disabled.

The iMac only needs to connect to 1 Windows server for file transfer / storage purposes.

Thanks for your help. :)

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
1. Tell the IT people they are there to support the users' needs and their computer, not the other way around.

2. Open "Directory Utility" in the Applications > Utilities folder on the iMac. Click on "Show Advanced Settings" and click the "Services" icon; uncheck them, Click on Search Policy icon; change "Search:" menu to Local directory. Click Apply button.

See if that shuts them up (either 1 or 2).

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
And what don't they like about it? Is their network so screwed up it can't handle the minuscule packets sent?
The tech guys are doing what some tech guys do: be idiots. I know, becasue I AM one, and I CAN be an idiot as well.

SVG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
Thanks, will give this a try next week. :) Merry Xmas.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Hello, we recently connected an iMac onto the corporate network, however, the network admins dislike the Mac for its "active searches" for servers and they want this behavior disabled.

They want you to go to them for access, they don't want you automatically connecting to the holes in their network security.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.