Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fearxtragedy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2007
alright so here's the problem. i recently (2-3 weeks ago) installed windows on another partition using boot camp. everything worked fine for a while but the other day my mac partition said the volume needed to be repaired, and would no longer boot into os x. however windows still runs fine. when i boot using the mac dvd and run disk utility, it says that the volume cannot be repaired. so the first time i erased the os x partition and reinstalled. two days later (today), the same thing is happening again.

i need help because i don't know what is causing this. sure, i could keep reinstalling but is that going to permanently fix the problem? the problem can't be with the actual hard drive, right? otherwise the windows partition on the same hard drive wouldn't work either.

what do you guys think? i've heard about diskwarrior, but i can't get into os x to run it, so that's not an option. could it be a virus on the windows partition? i need your expert advice! thanks a lot in advance!

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Sounds like bad sectors on the hard drive. Back your windows partition up to an external hard disk if you have any important data on it and reinstall Mac OS X on one partition. Try booting again from the install dvd and verify the disc, if there still is a problem, then you should call Apple Care.

DeepShadows

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
Does your windows os have access to the mac partition? Are you using something like mac drive so that something in windows could be messing with the other partition? or did you try and format it in any way? If not, follow above posters suggestion.

fearxtragedy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2007
yeah, i use macdrive 6 to exchange files between the windows partition and the mac partition. i find it useful for sending my windows documents to the mac partition for printing etc.

could this be the problem? why is macdrive available if it would mess with the os x?

should i reinstall os x, remove macdrive, and try again?

fearxtragedy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2007
EDIT:

in reply to my own post above, i would remove, reinstall, and try again. not reinstall, remove, and try again. not that it would make a huge difference, right?

also, are there any macdrive alternatives that wouldn't mess with my hdd's?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.