Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nigel_t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2001
I just started up oS X for the first time on a new 867 G4. So I went through all the setting up with name and passwords and stuff but its not connected to the net because i'm using it in a pro video edit suite, when I tried to change the startup sytem back to OS 9 and I gave it the same password I put in so I would be able to change back. But it told me I have the incorrect password and do not have administrator privilages. so to change back I had to restart off my os9 cd can you help? Do I have to be connected to the net so that apple will send me email with administrator info or somthing like that. By the way it's OS 10.0.4.

Thanks
Nigel

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Hi Nigel,

I believe that if you boot from the OS X CD, there's a utility on it that allows you to reset the password.

I've never done this. Can anyone confirm it?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
OSX Bootup CD

Yes, you can use the OS X boot up CD to access the password and change it. I think this is a serious security risk.

GUy

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Security risk

Whilst it is a security risk, the truth is that once someone has got physical access to your machine, there's not a great deal you can do short of encrypting the whole hard drive. It's a similar story whatever OS you're using.

Now network security is more of an issue - aren't we glad we're using a proper UNIX OS rather than those poor types with Microsoft IIS exposed to the Internet ;)

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Re: Security risk

Originally posted by Foocha
Whilst it is a security risk, the truth is that once someone has got physical access to your machine, there's not a great deal you can do short of encrypting the whole hard drive. It's a similar story whatever OS you're using.

Now network security is more of an issue - aren't we glad we're using a proper UNIX OS rather than those poor types with Microsoft IIS exposed to the Internet ;)

True... if you give me your box... there is nothing you can do to stop me from doing anything I want to it... A friend of mine's Mom is a proffessor at a CA University. She uses a Mac so she is always asking me for IT help. One time I came by and she said "look now my computer is safe, no students can get in and change or see any grades" She was all proud of her self. The IT on site installed some kind of passward prtection utillity, I forget the name. I smiled, rebooted her G3 B/W Tower, and hit the shift key. She got all upset when her system came up with no password promt. I told her to just keep her door locked.

[Edited by evildead on 11-29-2001 at 05:39 PM]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.