Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
While watching a live streaming event, SSD appears to have died in my 17" late 2011 MBP.

The screen suddenly and briefly went to an odd shade of grey, somewhat darker and pixillated <sp>, then to the standard grey screen of death.

I powered down and rebooted using the OPTION+COMMAND+R
keys held down, got the spinning globe which went from 0% to 100%; then I got the standard grey screen of death, then the system shut down.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Thanks!
I take it, you feel the SSD is fried?
Also, I replaced the original HD with the SSD; how would that affect eligibility for this program?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Thanks!
I take it, you feel the SSD is fried?
Also, I replaced the original HD with the SSD; how would that affect eligibility for this program?
No. I think it may be a video failure of the AMD Graphics Processor Unit (GPU). Apple will need to replace the logic board if the GPU has failed.

Replacing the original HDD with a SSD will not effect your eligibility for the program. I had a replacement SSD in my 2011 MBP when the GPU failed and I had Apple repair it. There was no problem wit Apple support.

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Thanks!
How would a GPU failure, such as you described affect trying to reboot in Recovery mode?

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Thanks!
FWIw, I also tried starting in Safe Mode...It went through the progress bar but ended up just grey screen
[doublepost=1471190869][/doublepost]Not running Time Machine, so I assume, anything that wasn't backed up is lost, if I can't reboot, correct?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Not running Time Machine, so I assume, anything that wasn't backed up is lost, if I can't reboot, correct?
Not necessarily. If the problem is just the GPU, then Apple will replace the Logic board and move your SSD and RAM to the replacement logic board. Your files on the SSD should be intact since the GPU problem does not effect the SSD. When Apple returns the repaired MBP then you will be able to boot up and access the files like normal.

If there is a problem with the SSD then, Yes your files could be lost without a backup. Recommend a frequent backup plan in the future.

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Thanks!
How can I confirm problem is GPU vs SSD, before bringing in to Apple store?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Make an appointment with Apple and have them test it. They will tell you what is wrong. If it is not the GPU and therefore does not qualify for free repair under the video issues then they will tell you what they think is wrong. You can then decide what to do. You have just gotten a free diagnostics from Apple. Only Apple has the appropriate tests for the GPU.

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Thanks!
Apple web site states the following, under MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues:
"Your MacBook Pro will be examined prior to any service to verify that it is eligible for this program and is otherwise in working order... " "A technician will run a diagnostic test on the MacBook Pro to verify eligibility."

That said, what is Apple going to do exactly? What are "...the appropriate tests for the GPU."?

Last edited:

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
No. I think it may be a video failure of the AMD Graphics Processor Unit (GPU). Apple will need to replace the logic board if the GPU has failed.

Replacing the original HDD with a SSD will not effect your eligibility for the program. I had a replacement SSD in my 2011 MBP when the GPU failed and I had Apple repair it. There was no problem wit Apple support.
Thanks!
You were right on...Video failure of the AMD Graphics Processor Unit (GPU). Good news, Apple will replace the logic board ($579) for free. Bad news, no guarantee I won't lose my files AND they also said I need a new battery, which is not covered...$179

Last edited:

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Thanks!
You were right on...Video failure of the AMD Graphics Processor Unit (GPU). Good news, Apple will replace the logic board ($579) for free. Bad news, no guarantee I won't lose my files AND they also said I need a new battery, which is not covered...$179
Well, now Apple is saying that they put a new logic board in but only get horizontal and vertical lines on the display. They said it's either a bad logic board that they put in or the display, which is not covered. Does that sound right?

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Thanks for the help! Apparently, the first logic board that Apple put in was a bad so they ordered another one and that worked, therefore Apple replaced the logic board at no charge with 90-day warranty, under the "MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues" (https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/) "The program covers affected MacBook Pro models until December 31, 2016 or four years from its original date of sale, whichever provides longer coverage for you.".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.