Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markeleven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2002
NJ
Anyone got any tips on OS X compatible scanners? I am looking for a oderate priced unit that does transparencies. I don't really want to be bouncing between classic & X on this item.

ebound

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2001
EGV, IL
Go to your local library and read some back issues of MacAddict and MacWorld. I know I've seen X-compatible transparency scanners somewhere.

Or ask CPCalzadillas. That's his screen name. He uses one.

grrr223

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
Philadelphia
Good question, I really want to get that $100 canon one, the one that's about an inch thick, but it doesn't sound like it has drivers under os X yet :(

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: OS X Scanners

Originally posted by markeleven
Anyone got any tips on OS X compatible scanners? I am looking for a oderate priced unit that does transparencies. I don't really want to be bouncing between classic & X on this item.

Go with the Epson Perfection 2450 Photo, does both reflective and transparencies, and is priced at $399. There are OSX compatible scanner applications (VueScan for one, shareware). I have used the Epson scanner for both prints and negatives and was very impressed with it. The listed resolution is 2400x4800 dpi, has both USB and FireWire interfaces (use Firewire, it's faster). If you wait for Photoshop for OS X, then you will really like it. I use OS 9.2.2 and Photoshop 6 with the plug in to scan. Make sure you get a good quality FireWire cable though (not Tripp-lite).

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by grrr223
Good question, I really want to get that $100 canon one, the one that's about an inch thick, but it doesn't sound like it has drivers under os X yet :(

Hehe, I have that scanner. I dont use it much, only for iDVD. I have the blueberry colr. Its a really cool scanner.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by grrr223

I have the Canoscan n1220U, one of the previous generation models of the scanner you're talking about. I love it except for the fact that it doesn't have OS X drivers yet. That's about the only think I use classic for. (+ photoshop)

Basically the scanner is great, fast, quiet, powered by the USB (can't plug it into the keyboard though, only the back of your mac or your apple monitor) and I love it. Can't wait for Photoshop 7 and OS X twain drivers.

_Pete

Anyone know that T.W.A.I.N. stands for "Technology Without An Interesting Name"?? Funny stuff!!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
It just depends on how well they are written. If they are well done, then you should be safe. Otherwise, wait for the software that runs under OS X.

I will be investigating to see if the scanner plug in will work with Illustrator 10. If so, then you could scan directly that way.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
Re: Re: OS X Scanners

Originally posted by AlphaTech

Go with the Epson Perfection 2450 Photo, does both reflective and transparencies, and is priced at $399. There are OSX compatible scanner applications (VueScan for one, shareware). I have used the Epson scanner for both prints and negatives and was very impressed with it. The listed resolution is 2400x4800 dpi, has both USB and FireWire interfaces (use Firewire, it's faster). If you wait for Photoshop for OS X, then you will really like it. I use OS 9.2.2 and Photoshop 6 with the plug in to scan. Make sure you get a good quality FireWire cable though (not Tripp-lite).

Do you think the Perfebtion is better than Umax's Firelook 1100?
I need a 'prosumer' quality scanner on my Firewire bus and have been hedging between the two.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Re: Re: OS X Scanners

Originally posted by ogun7

Do you think the Perfebtion is better than Umax's Firelook 1100?
I need a 'prosumer' quality scanner on my Firewire bus and have been hedging between the two.

If you are talking about the Umax PowerLook 1100, then I would say the Epson is better. They both have an 8.5x11.7 glass area, but the Epson scans at 2400x4800 where the umax maxes out at 1200x2400. The Umax is 42bit, where the Epson is 48bit. There is also a cost difference of $500 (the Umax is $899, the Epson is $399). Also, the Epson has BOTH USB and Firewire interfaces, where the Umax is ONLY Firewire.

I did some research while I was looking to get a scanner. The Epson has the highest resolution, for the best price in a flatbed scanner that can also do negatives/transparencies. I found that the interface of the Photoshop plugin for the Epson is well done, giving you all the options at your finger tips and takes only a few minutes to figure them all out. That is, if you don't bother to read the book that comes with the scanner. The ONLY advantage that I can see with the Umax scanner, is that it comes with a FireWire cable. The Epson does come with an USB cable, which I will use for something else since I picked up a FireWire cable of the length I needed/wanted for the scanner.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
Re: Re: Re: OS X Scanners

I truly thank you AlphaTech, you are surely a gentleman and scholar. You clarified a lot of things for me. I was mainly going on the reputation of Umax (They are responsible for manufacturing components for the Heidelberg Linotype-Hell flatbed scanner series) Umax is seriously behind in getting their higher-end equipment onto Firewire. Epson makes Umax like a cheap Taiwanese manufacturing outfit.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by ptrauber

Anyone know that T.W.A.I.N. stands for "Technology Without An Interesting Name"?? Funny stuff!!

I'm a nut for trivia like that... I'll definitely be bringing that up at lunch tomorrow with the other designers. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.