Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
I currently work as an enterprise IT support analyst using all flavours of Windows and some Solaris. I want to get some experience of OSX server but we don't have any in the company so any suggestions on how I can try it?

Is there a trial version you can get similar to MS 120 day trial?

Thx!

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
Thought I'd point out also that you can run 10.4 Server on any apple system that supports 10.4 Tiger. Just thought I'd throw that out in case you didn't know.

By the way I'd suggest ebay if you can't track down a copy to try. With a little patience I was able to snag a new 10-client copy of 10.4.7(universal version) of OSX server for less than $200.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Excellent! Didn't realise that so thanks for that. Will keep an eye on fleabay as well :)

Would be good if you could run it in Parallels ??? :rolleyes:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Would be good if you could run it in Parallels ??? :rolleyes:

Yep. That would be über gr8!
But Apple prohibits the use of Mac OS X on anything other than a Mac (and rightly so), so no go for virtualosation either (and that's too bad). Now, on teh web you can find a h@x0rs version of Mac OS X 10.4.x for on a "generic" PC, but i haven't seen or heard of a h@xed version of Tiger running on either Parallels or VMware (same goes for the x86 version of Darwin IIRC).

But I would love to be able to run Mac OS X client(s) in virtualisation on an Xserve for cheap and easy test reasons.

It is cool to use Win2K3 Server in Parallels for AD-OD integration tests though. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.